These sessions usually consist of one tutor and one tutee; although, sometimes if two students are in the same class, one tutor can work with both students at the same session. These sessions usually last for one hour. The time, day, and place are agreed upon by the participants.
All review sessions are set up at the request of an instructor for a particular section(s) of a course he or she is currently teaching. A tutor is hired to run these sessions, usually once a week, at the same time, day, and place. All students who are registered for that class can attend any session being conducted.
Because this kind of session is so specific, the tutor is encouraged to meet with the instructor once a week to discuss what has been covered in class, and prep time is allowed for this as well. These sessions usually run for two hours, once a week.
The tutor is encouraged to bring his or her own work to the session, since there are times when only a handful of students show up and only for a short time. These sessions can last as long as three hours on a given afternoon or evening.
IN-CLASS TUTORING / MENTORS
Tutors and mentors are hired by the Academic Learning Center to assist instructors in specific courses. Tutors and mentors are expected to attend class and work with students at that time. Outside of class tutoring and mentoring can also be scheduled. Tutors and mentors are paid for class preparation, in-class time, and outside tutoring. Courses for which in-class assistants may be hired in are
- Intermediate Writing for College
- Freshman Forum
For Desk Assistants and Proofreaders
- In making appointments for students, please find the appropriate "bubble" in the appointment book and fill in the student's name.
- Fill in the date and time on the appointment reminder form and give it to the student.
- If you have any questions about the availability of the staff person, please have the student call or stop back. Do not tell the student that we will call him/her.
- The above applies only to students. You can take messages from all others, and we will call them back.
- Two proofreaders will work from 11:30-1:30 Monday through Friday. One will cover the desk (see above) while the other will sit at the ALC table. Either one can proofread.
- One proofreader will work from 7:00-9:00PM Monday through Thursday
- If you find a paper needs more than the normal allotted time, have the student make a follow-up appointment or refer him/her to the Writing Center.
- Do not make appointments for long papers after 1 in the afternoon or 9 in the evening.
- Take phone numbers for all appointments.
If you have any problems, please contact Elizabeth Mulligan at x3300