The Office of Accommodations and Accessibility provides a comprehensive range of academic support services and accommodations that promote the full integration of students with disabilities into the mainstream college environment. Services and accommodations are individualized to meet the needs of each student and may vary depending upon the disability and/or course content.
Marist College supports the concept of self-advocacy in all students. The Office does not provide faculty with prior notification of a student's enrollment. Requests for academic accommodations are made directly by the student.
Who Is Eligible?
To receive services and accommodations, students must identify themselves to the Office and present official documentation of their disability. In general, a disability is defined as a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, e.g., walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself, and/or performing manual tasks.
The Office serves students who have disabilities such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Attention deficit disorder
- Blindness or visual impairments
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic illnesses (AIDS, arthritis, cancer, cardiac disease, diabetes, Lyme disease, etc.)
- Deafness or hearing impairments
- Epilepsy or seizure disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Psychiatric disabilities
- Orthopedic impairments
- Speech disorders
- Traumatic brain injury
Available Services and Accommodations
Accommodations that may be provided as required by a student's specific disability include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Textbooks in alternate format
- Testing accommodations
- Use of adaptive equipment
Other services provided by the Office include:
- Academic counseling (time management, organization and study skills, etc.)
- Advocacy and liaison with faculty/staff
- Assistance with course selection/registration
- Self-advocacy training
- Refer for career counseling
- Refer for peer tutoring
- Refer for personal counseling
- Refer to campus and community services