Gaining acceptance into Marist's highly competitive Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling program depends on a variety of factors, which can include undergraduate academic performance, prior work experience, recommendation letters, and an application essay.
New classes begin every September. Applications are accepted year round with a fall deadline of April 15.
The Mental Health Counseling program does not allow non-matriculated students into the program.
• A completed Graduate Admission Application (available online)
• A $50 application fee (you may pay this online if you are completing the online application or you may send a check or money order payable to Marist College)
• Personal essay describing your history and interest in pursuing an advanced degree in mental health counseling (hard copy or email)
• Three letters of recommendation (from employment or academic professional)
• Official transcripts of all prior undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
• A current resume (hard copy or email)
• An interview with the program director
• Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores *Not required if holding advanced degree
• Mental Health Counseling Course Prerequisites: general psychology, statistics, research methods in psychology/social sciences demonstrating a minimum grade of 3.0
Send all application materials to:
The Office of Graduate Admission
3399 North Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601-1387