Frequently Asked Questions About Marist's Masters Degree in School Psychology

Are school psychologists the same as school counselors or school guidance counselors?

No. The professional identity, roles, and responsibilities of school psychologists differ from other school professionals. Potential applicants to the MA in School Psychology program are encouraged to visit the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) website ( to learn more about school psychologists and a career in school psychology.

Where can I work as a New York State Certified School Psychologist?

New York State Certified School Psychologists are credentialed to work in K-12 schools. The NYS School Psychologist certification does not permit practice outside of the schools in the community.

Are graduate assistantships available?

Yes. A limited number of graduate assistantships are available. Candidates should apply for these positions during the program application process.

What is the schedule for classes?

Classes are held from 5:00pm to 9:00pm during the fall and spring semesters. The schedule for summer courses varies, but typically consists of online and evening classes.

Do I need to submit GRE scores when applying to the program?

No. The MA in School Psychology program no longer requires applicants to submit GRE scores as part of the admissions process.

Can I transfer credits into the MA in School Psychology program?

Applicants to the MA in School Psychology program who have earned graduate credits in psychology short of a master’s degree at other institutions will have their transcripts evaluated. Acceptance of credits will be determined using the Transfer Course Advisement Sheet. In addition to content and other requirements detailed on the sheet, a grade of B or better is required for acceptance of any transfer credits. A maximum of 15 graduate credits can be transferred into the program from another accredited institution. 

Is there a student organization for the MA in School Psychology program?

Marist College School Psychology candidates govern and participate in the Marist Student Association for School Psychology (MSASP). Members of MSASP work across program cohorts to foster a sense of community and to support fellow candidates. They have also extended their involvement beyond the college by raising funds and participating in local charity events. All candidates in the School Psychology Graduate Program are encouraged to join and participate in MSASP.

Why are two courses from the Teacher Education Department required for the MA in School Psychology program? I don’t plan to be a teacher.

School psychologists routinely consult with teachers on class-wide and individual interventions. It is critical for the school psychologist to have an understanding of the teacher’s perspective because the consultations and interventions must account for classroom dynamics, academic requirements, and the nature of learning. The two courses from the Teacher Education Department provide school psychology candidates with the teacher’s perspective and increase the credibility of interventions that are offered to teachers by the school psychologist.

Can I split my Practicum or Internship between two different Supervisors or two different school districts or two different states?

No. All field placements must be supervised by one supervisor in one school district that is in one state.

Where do candidates complete their Practicum and Internship?

All candidates are required to complete their practicum and internship in a public school setting. This is to allow candidates to have experience with the full range of school psychologist responsibilities and the full range of regular and special education processes and services. In addition to other site and supervisor requirements, one of the two school psychology field placements (practicum or internship) must meet the diversity requirement of the Marist Professional Education Unit. Examples of recent placements can be found on the website.

When are practicum and internship placements completed?

Practicum is completed two full days per week during the regular school year and internship is completed five full days per week during the regular school year. Both practicum and internship are completed for the school district’s entire academic year.

How do I find a Practicum or Internship site?

A list of potential field placement sites is available in Appendix C of the School Psychology Program Handbook. Candidates are responsible for making contact with the site and setting up an interview. Candidates may also inquire with the program director about completing a field placement in a district that is not on the list.

Can I complete an Internship outside of New York State?

Candidates may complete the internship at a placement outside of New York State provided all requirements detailed in the Internship Manual are met.

Can I complete a part-time 600-hour internship at Marist?

No. That is not an option in the program.

Can I complete any part of my Practicum or Internship under the supervision of the school social worker or school counselor?

No. All components of the practicum and internship must be completed under the supervision of your specific internship supervisor, who is a NYS Certified School Psychologist.

Do I need to complete a thesis or dissertation for the MA in School Psychology?

No. Candidates complete a portfolio in the MA in School Psychology program. The portfolio is completed in stages during each of the program’s three years.

Do I need to take the Praxis II Exam in School Psychology?

Yes. All candidates are required to take and pass (using the NASP passing score) the Praxis II Exam in School Psychology in order to graduate from the MA in School Psychology program.

I am interested in applying for certification as a school psychologist in a state other than New York. What are the requirements?

Requirements in each state vary. Marist’s school psychology program prepares candidates for certification as a school psychologist in New York State. Candidates interested in certification in other states are responsible for researching the requirements of the other states. An overview of requirements in various states is available on the NASP website. That is a good place to start researching. Candidates should also visit the certification websites of the individual states and contact the relevant agencies in those states in addition to the NASP website.