Adult Grants




Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant Program

The Federal Pell Grant program is a federal aid program that provides financial assistance to students otherwise unable to afford an undergraduate education. Pell grants provide a foundation of Financial Aid to which other aid may be added.

The government currently states that in order to qualify for a Federal Pell Grant the citizen or eligible non-citizen must be either enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an accredited college. To find out if you qualify for Pell you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, (FAFSA).

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant  (TEACH)

A Federal TEACH Grant provides up to $3,964.40 per year in grants for students who complete the FAFSA and meet the eligibility requirements for federal student aid.  Students must also intend to teach in a full-time, high need subject area for a minimum of four years at schools that serve students from low-income students and complete those four years of teaching within eight years of completing the program.
The conditions for receiving a TEACH Grant are as follows:

  1. You must complete the FASFA, although you do not have to demonstrate financial need.
  2. Graduation from high school with a 3.25 GPA or higher or scoring above the 75th percentile on a college admission test.
  3. Majoring in a program of study designated as a high-need subject area (Bilingual Education, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Reading Specialist, Science, or Special Education). For more information, please visit:

For a list of schools serving low-income students, please view the Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory.

If you meet the initial eligibility requirements and wish to participate in the TEACH grant program, please go online and complete the “Entrance Counseling and Agreement to Serve.”

Please note that if you are unable to complete this teaching obligation within eight years, the grant will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan with interest accruing from the date the grant funds were first disbursed.

Please feel free to contact Erica Leman in the Office of Student Financial Services at 845-575-3230 for more information regarding this program.
General Information/Requirements
. TEACH Grant Fact Sheet.



State Grants

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
New York State Residents Only
If you are a New York State resident (for at least the past 12 months) you may be eligible for this state grant. You must be a matriculated full-time student (12 credits or more). The TAP award must be certified by the TAP certifying officer located in the Office of the Registrar. There is a separate application that must be completed. New York State Higher Educational Services Corporation (NYSHESC) will send you a TAP application.
TAP eligibility requirements

Aid For Part-Time Study Program (APTS)
New York State Residents Only
If you are a New York State resident (for at least the past 12 months) you may be eligible for this state grant. You must be matriculated and take at least 3 credits and no more than 11 credits per semester.

Award amounts range from $250 to $1000 per semester. Maximum New York state limit is $2000 for the fall and spring semesters. Awards are determined by the Office of Student Financial Services.

Students can download the APTS application  and return the completed application along with a copy of their NYS tax return (a parent return if dependent) to the Office of Student Financial Services for processing. Application deadlines for Fall semester is September 15th and Spring semester is January 30th. A student must apply every year.


NY State Math and Science Teaching Incentive Program
Students who are interested should fill out the application by March 15.
This is a new competitive scholarship available Spring 2007. Not everyone who applies will get it even if they've met all the eligibility requirements.

If the student does not fulfill the terms after graduation, the grant turns into a loan and will have to be paid back.

Payment will not be made until the end of the academic year and only if the student meets the academic criteria:

NOTE: Applicants may attend less than full-time, completing fewer than 27 credit hours, if they are in their last undergraduate term and if fewer than 27 credit hours are necessary to complete their course of study.

For more information regarding this scholarship visit:
NY State Math and Science Teaching Incentive Program
Teaching Incentive Web Supplement Application

The Rhode Island State Grant
Rhode Island Residents Only
The Rhode Island State Grant Program is designed to provide grants to those students whose family resources are not sufficient to meet the costs of higher education. In Rhode Island, your FAFSA also serves as your application for the RI State Grant program. When you complete your FAFSA and list Rhode Island as your legal state of residency, your FAFSA data will be transmitted electronically to RIHEAA.

VSAC Incentive Grants
Vermont Residents Only
Any Vermont student who plans to attend college full-time, and doesn't already have a bachelors degree, is eligible to apply for a Vermont Incentive grant. Vermont residents attending out-of-state institutions are requested to visit the website @ for application criteria.