Student Clubs & Leadership Opportunities
The rich variety of clubs related to writing, performance, and literature provide the English Department with a strong
sense of community and many opportunities for active student leadership. Clubs and affiliated organizations include:
- The Literary Arts Society, which coordinates a variety of gatherings including an annual "Harry Potter Night"
and annual poetry slam.
- The Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, a student-run organization that works in tandem with the Marist
Theatre Program. The lifelong bonds created by this organization were eloquently demonstrated in Fall
2014 when over 150 current students, alumni, faculty, and administrators gathered to celebrate the
dedication of the new Student Center lounge honoring the work of Dean Jerry Cox, the father of Marist
Theatre (pictured below).
- Sigma Tau Delta, the College's chapter of the national English Honor Society. In addition to facilitating
participation in Sigma Tau Delta's annual conference (above, center), the chapter hosts informal events
such as the "Literary Desserts" contest held every semester (above, right).
Students also enjoy the opportunity to contribute to student-run publications, including:
- The Circle : The Circle is Marist’s student-run newspaper. Members have the opportunity to write and edit
articles about campus news and events. The Circle is published every week and appears in print seven
times a semester.
- The Generator : The Generator is Marist’s arts and entertainment magazine. The magazine is published
once a semester and includes articles about everything from fashion to video games to music.
- The Mosaic : The Mosaic is a literary magazine published each semester by the Literary Arts Society.
All students, not just English majors or minors, are encouraged to submit their creative pieces or artwork
to The Mosaic.
- Fox Forum : Fox Forum is a student journal of academic papers published once a semester by the
Literary Arts Society.