Fieldwork/SL Course Sequence & Course Numbers for
SCHEDULING NOTE: Monday and/or Wednesday from 5:00 – 6:15pm is reserved for the Fieldwork group supervision meetings for ALL course numbers below.
A NOTE ABOUT THE FACULTY SUPERVISOR: When you register, an instructor (Faculty Supervisor) is indicated in the registration materials. It is likely that there will be a re-assigning of a Faculty Supervisor; thus, the one originally indicated may or may not be the actual Faculty Supervisor.
The Fieldwork/Service Learning (or Fieldwork/SL) Sequence of Courses and their respective course numbers are:
- Fieldwork/SL I: PSYC487N (3 credits; Required for PSYC major)
- Fieldwork/SL II: PSYC488N (3 credits; Required for PSYC major)
- Fieldwork/SL III: PSYC489N (3 credits; General Elective only; NOT counted as PSYC elective)
- Fieldwork/SL IV: PSYC490N (3 credits; General Elective only; NOT counted as PSYC elective)
- Fieldwork/SL V: PSYC491N (3 credits; General Elective only; NOT counted as PSYC elective)
Fieldwork/SL I can be completed during the second semester of junior year or during senior year.
During the senior year, students can register for more than one Fieldwork/SL course in one semester in order to achieve the desired workload.
For example, a senior student can choose to do her/his first 6 credits of fieldwork and would register for PSYC487N and PSYC488N, concurrently. Students can also choose to spread out their fieldwork across multiple semesters.
- Students may begin their fieldwork no earlier than the first day of the semester’s classes. The Fieldwork must be completed before the last day of the semester’s exam period.
- Fieldwork hours must be spread evenly across the semester; a student cannot concentrate hours (e.g., work overtime) for a shorter period without approval from the Fieldwork Coordinator. Requests must be submitted in writing.
- Students shall not register for more than 12 credits of Fieldwork/Service Learning in one semester (because registering for 12 credits in one semester would require that students work a full-time fieldwork schedule: 36 to 40 hours a week for a total of 500 work hours).
- Students cannot complete more than 15 credits of psychology Fieldwork/Service Learning during the undergraduate program.