Policies and Procedures for Requesting an Undergraduate-
Psychology-Issued Tuition Waiver
In appreciation for the supervision services and fieldwork experiences provided by an agency hosting a psychology undergraduate student, the Marist College Psychology Department will grant a tuition waiver to the site supervisor, or any qualified agency employee designated by the site supervisor. The tuition waiver allows the site supervisor/employee to register for a course, provided that space is available in the course section, with the following limits and guidelines:
- For undergraduate courses, there will be no tuition charged although the registrant may be assessed the normal fees of a non-matriculated student. This waiver may be applied to courses which carry three or four credits.
- For graduate courses in psychology, a partial tuition waiver will be awarded provided that the person using the waiver pays one-fourth (1/4) of the tuition and has met course prerequisites.
- Not more than one course may be taken per staff person by using a Psychology-issued tuition waiver.
- Once a Marist psychology undergraduate student is hosted, the agency is eligible to request the tuition waiver over any of the next 5 (fall or spring) semesters; that is, if 5 semesters pass after hosting a psychology student, the agency loses the tuition waiver. For example, if a student was hosted in a spring of 2004, the agency can request a waiver for use up to and including the fall of 2006.
- If a tuition waiver is issued and goes unused, it is void and lost.
- Note: Other majors and graduate programs (e.g., Social Work, Criminal Justice, MA Psychology program, etc.) have other policies and procedures for granting tuition waivers to agencies hosting their students. These policies are specific to the case of undergraduate psychology major students.
Procedure to Request an Undergraduate-Psychology-Issued Tuition Waiver
The agency’s Site Supervisor must contact the appropriate Fieldwork Coordinator by the appropriate deadline to request the waiver for the next semester. The request must include the information below.
1. The name of the Site Supervisor.
2. The name of the person using the waiver – either the Site Supervisor or a designated agency employee.
3. The agency address and phone number.
4. The name of the undergraduate psychology fieldwork student that was hosted.
5. The semester and year the student was hosted (e.g., Spring 2005),
Currently, the Fieldwork Coordinator for Poughkeepsie Main Campus Students and Marist Extension Sites Students
(e.g., Kingston, Fishkill) is:
Janine Buxton, M.S., L.M.H.C.
3399 North Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601-1387
phone: (845) 575-3000, x7696
fax: (845) 575-3965
Once the request is received, the Faculty Supervisor processes the form which must then be signed by the Dean of the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences. Next, the tuition waiver form is sent to the Site Supervisor who must also sign it. Finally, if necessary, the Site Supervisor will give the tuition waiver form to the employee, who also signs it.
Deadlines to Request a Psychology-Issued Tuition Waiver
In general, the deadline to contact the Fieldwork Coordinator and request a tuition waiver is the date TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES of that semester.
Using a Tuition Waiver
Students registering through the Graduate and Continuing Education Office should present the Tuition Waiver form to that office.
Students registering online for Fall or Spring should present this form to the Student Accounts Office.