How do I report an incident?

Any member of the Marist community may file an incident report. This report can be filed with your RD, RA, or security. Depending on the nature of the incident, statements may also be submitted to the Office of Student Conduct.

What is a "notice of allegation letter?"

A notice of allegation is a request by Office of Student Conduct ("OSC") or RD for a student to meet with them regarding their involvement in an incident, on or off-campus. In the letter, the student is informed of the policies they are alleged to have violated. A copy of the incident report(s) is also included so that students can better understand the basis of the charges.

What if I was not aware of a rule and I didn't know I was breaking it?

Lack of knowledge of a rule is not an excuse for misconduct. Every student is responsible for knowing the policies and procedures of the College, so it is important for you to read your Student Handbook, Code of Student Conduct, Catalog, and if applicable, the Resident Student Handbook. If you are unsure about the contents of any of these, please ask for clarification.

My friends and I were involved in the same incident, why are my friends meeting with their RD while I am scheduled to meet with Student Conduct?

Typically students who have never had a disciplinary case will meet with the RD. If you are meeting with Student Conduct it may be because this is the second violation or the violation is of a more serious nature.

What should I do if I cannot attend my Conduct Conference?

If you cannot attend your Conduct Conference, it is very important that you contact the Student Conduct Officer assigned to your case. Contact information will appear in your letter. If you were scheduled for a Conference with your Resident Director, you should contact your RD using their office extension. If you were scheduled for a Conference with The Office of Student Conduct, you should contact the Office at x3514 to reschedule the appointment. Typically appointment times are set around class schedules - you should never miss a class for a conference!

What happens if I miss my Conduct Conference?

Under the Code of Student Conduct, the Student Conduct Officer or RD has the right to make a decision on the case should a student(s) miss an appointment without prior notification. Absence cannot be used as a determining factor to decide whether or not you are in violation.

Can I bring a witness to my Conduct Conference?

Witnesses are not allowed in Conduct Conference.

What is the difference between a Conduct Conference and a Hearing?

A Conduct Conference is a meeting between a single Student Conduct Officer and the responding student(s). Witnesses are not permitted at this level of the process. At the hearing level, students appear before a panel. These panel members are drawn from a pool of students and faculty/staff of the College. Reporting and Responding Students are able, and encouraged, to provide a list of witnesses to give statements and be questioned during a hearing.

Will my parent/guardian find out about my incident?

Parents of dependent students under the age of 21 found "In Violation" of the Code of Student Conduct and may receive notification. Additionally, parents of dependent students under the age of 21 found in violation of the alcohol or drug policy will be notified.

What types of sanctions can be imposed in my case?

A sanction is determined on a case by case basis.  The sanction reflects the needs of the individual student and the impact of the student's behavior on the community.  Sanctions can range from a written warning to expulsion.  Discretionary Sanctions may also include but are not limited to community service, essay/research paper, letters of apology/thank-you.

What happens if I don't complete my sanctions?

With the exception of cases decided in a student's absence, students who are sanctioned have signed a binding agreement to complete their sanctions on or before the specified date. If you are having difficulties completing your sanctions consult the RD or Student Conduct Officer who assigned it before the due date. Failure to complete sanctions by the stated deadlines may result in an additional disciplinary case, a hold being placed, suspension, or expulsion from the college. 

Do I get a refund if I am suspended or dismissed for disciplinary reasons?

In cases of suspension or expulsion, the College's institutional refund policy will apply. Typically, students receive a 100% refund during the first week of classes, a 50% refund during the second and third weeks and 0% thereafter. Please consult the Academic Calendar for specific dates.

How will this incident be reported?

A violation does become part of your conduct record which is maintained by the Office of Student Conduct for multiple years.  It is important to remember that your conduct record is a part of the students' educational record and can be a factor in background checks and admission to some graduate schools.

Judicial Educator is not working, what should I do?

Please be sure you entered the login and password for Judicial Educator in lowercase letters. Should you still have difficulty, the staff at Judicial Educator recommend the following:

You must shut off all pop up blockers in your browser. Directions about shutting off pop-off blockers are found when you first log into The Judicial Educator.

You must use Internet Explorer to access the modules. If you access the service via another browser, you may be unable to access the test function.

If the 2 suggestions above do not solve the problem, then try the following:

Click on "Tools" on the tool bar

Click on "Internet Options"

Click on "Privacy"

Go to "Websites", and hit "Edit"

In the "Address of Website" area, type:, and click "Allow"

Click on "Security"

Set your settings to no more than medium

These troubleshooting suggestions should solve your problem.

If you continue to have trouble, contact Judicial Educator via e-mail at: info@reslife.net or call: (215) 295-6858. Also notify the RD or Student Conduct Officer who assigned the sanction.

 How do I request a student conduct record?

A Student Conduct Record Request (commonly referred to as a dean's certification) occurs when a student submits the proper forms to the Office of Student Conduct so that we my report their disciplinary record at Marist College to interested educational institutions (graduate/professional schools) or government agencies. 

How do I appeal a conduct decision?

Please see the Appeals Section of the Code of Student Conduct.