Marist College Heritage
Our story begins in 1905 when the Marist Brothers, a congregation of Catholic Teaching Brothers, purchased the McPherson Estate, just north of the city of Poughkeepsie. The property was renamed Saint Ann’s Hermitage. Three years later, in 1908, the Beck Estate, contiguous to the southern border of the McPherson property was also purchased. These 110 acres form what is now the west side of the Marist College Campus.
This property served until 1952 as the headquarters of the Marist Brothers in the USA. By 1929, The Brothers Training Center evolved into a junior college affiliated with Fordham University and Catholic University. In 1946, the New York State Board of Regents chartered Marian College as a Catholic College for the training of Marist Brothers. This charter was amended in 1947 to allow lay men to pursue degrees and again in 1966 to admit lay women.
In 1960, Marian College changed its name to Marist College. Ownership of the college was transferred in 1969 from the Marist Brothers to the Marist College Educational Corporation with an independent Board of Trustees, making it an independent liberal arts college. Nonetheless, the spirit of Saint Marcellin Champagnat, founder of the Marist Brothers, and the legacy of the Brothers continues to inspire and enrich the academic life of the College. Eight Marist Brothers currently work at the College.