Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I attend Summer Pre-College at Marist?
- Marist's Summer Pre-College program is an exciting way for students to gain a unique college experience while still in high school.
- Academically, the students will be receiving 3 transferrable college credits. Taught by Marist’s nationally-recognized faculty, the institutes will provide a challenging, yet equally rewarding experience. The program allows students to utilize state-of-the-art technology, gain hands-on experience in their respective field, and earn three college credits.
- Socially, students will be working and residing with diverse classmates from around the world! They will reside in campus dorms, enjoy meals in our dining hall, and explore different careers they might like to pursue.
- Professionally, Pre-College graduates gain the skills and confidence essential for success, regardless of where they plan to study in the future. Students will work one-on-one with Marist faculty and admission representatives, creating an outstanding support network as they continue their college search process. Students can request a one-on-one interview with an admission counselor, and/or a letter of recommendation from their Marist professor, a strong addition to any college application.
Who is eligible for Summer Pre-College?
- The program is geared towards rising juniors and seniors in high school. Rising sophomores and graduating seniors may still apply, and will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
How do interested students go about the application process?
- Prospective students shall submit a completed application, official high school transcripts (with Pre-College Transcript Request Form), one Pre-College Recommendation Form, and a short essay about their interest in a Marist Summer Pre-College program.
When is the application deadline?
- Acceptance into the Summer Pre-College Program is based on a rolling, space-available basis. We are currently accepting applications for all of our programs, so apply today!
What is the cost of Summer Pre-College at Marist?
- Please see below for the 2015 Pre-College program costs. Cost includes tuition & fees, housing & all meals, field trips, and all course materials. Cost does not include travel expenses. Students may wish to bring funds for incidentals, shopping at the Marist Bookstore or the local mall, souvenirs, and any personal items they wish to purchase.
Are any types of financial aid available for prospective students?
- Currently there is no funding available.
What are the dates of the program?
- The 2015 program will be offered in two, 2-week sessions. For New York, Session 1 dates are June 28th – July 11th and Session 2 dates are July 12th – July 25th. Italy dates are July 12th – July 25th. For a list of programs and dates they are offered, please visit the Locations/Dates page.
Can I stay for multiple courses?
- Yes! Students can choose one program for three college credits in Session 1 or Session 2, or stay for both sessions and earn 6 college credits over a 4-week period.
Are the students supervised?
- In order to gain the most of campus life at Marist College, students will be supervised by both a Resident Director (full-time staff member) and Residential Assistants. Our primary goal is to make sure the students are safe during their time on campus. Students will be supervised 24 hours per day.
Where will we live? Where will we eat?
- Pre-College students, both in New York and in Italy, will live in Marist College's dorms and eat in the Marist cafeteria.
Will this count for college credit?
- Students will earn 3-6 transferable college credits upon completion of the course. Course descriptions can be found on the Programs page.
How hard is the work?
- You will be tackling college level material. You will be challenged, but also encouraged in your learning experience by faculty instructors dedicated to helping you. This program will provide a strong idea about what college work will be like for you.
I plan on flying to New York, what is the best way to get from the plane to the Marist College campus?
- For students planning on flying into the New York City area, Marist will be providing a shuttle service to and from John F Kennedy International Airport.
- Session 1 Shuttles: The shuttle will leave the airport Saturday, June 27th at 4:00 p.m. and will return student to the airport by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 11th. In order to allocate enough time to go through security and get to your terminal, we recommend students book returning flights for no earlier than 4:00 p.m. on the 11th.
- Session 2 Shuttles: The shuttle will leave the airport Saturday, July 11th at 4:00 p.m. and will return student to the airport by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 25th. In order to allocate enough time to go through security and get to your terminal, we recommend students book returning flights for no earlier than 4:00 p.m. on the 25th.
- Students arriving into other locations of the city may take public transportation to JFK and then take the shuttle to Marist. For more information or to make a reservation, please call 845.575.3226. The deadline to register for a spot on the shuttle is June 15th, 2015.
- For students planning on flying into Florence, Italy, please contact our office at 845.575.3226 for travel information and recommendations.
Can International Students apply for Summer Pre-College?
- Yes! International students are students who are not currently a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Marist welcomes international students to apply for Summer Pre-College. In addition to the application, international applicants coming from non-native English speaking countries must also submit proof of English proficiency. Please contact the admission office at 845.575.3226 for more information.