Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I attend Summer Pre-College at Marist?
- Marist's Summer Pre-College program is an exciting way for students to gain a unique college experience while still in high school.
- Academically, the students will be receiving 3 transferrable college credits. Taught by Marist’s nationally-recognized faculty, the institutes will provide a challenging, yet equally rewarding experience. The program allows students to utilize state-of-the-art technology, gain hands-on experience in their respective field, and earn three college credits.
- Socially, students will be working and residing with diverse classmates from around the world! They will reside in campus dorms, enjoy meals in our dining hall, and explore different careers they might like to pursue.
- Professionally, Pre-College graduates gain the skills and confidence essential for success, regardless of where they plan to study in the future. Students will work one-on-one with Marist faculty and admission representatives, creating an outstanding support network as they continue their college search process. Students can request a one-on-one interview with an admission counselor, and/or a letter of recommendation from their Marist professor, a strong addition to any college application.
Who is eligible for Summer Pre-College?
- The program is geared towards rising juniors and seniors in high school. Rising sophomores and graduating seniors may still apply, and will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
How do interested students go about the application process?
- Prospective students shall submit a completed application, official high school transcripts (with Pre-College Transcript Request Form), one Pre-College Recommendation Form, and a short essay about their interest in a Marist Summer Pre-College program.
When is the application deadline?
- Acceptance into the Summer Pre-College Program is based on a rolling, space-available basis. We are currently accepting applications for all of our programs, so apply today!
What is the cost of Summer Pre-College at Marist?
- The 2015 costs are still being finalized. Please note that the 2014 costs were $3,200 for the New York campus and $3,950 for Italy. Cost includes tuition & fees, housing & all meals, field trips, and all course materials. Cost does not include travel expenses. Students may wish to bring funds for incidentals, shopping at the Marist Bookstore or the local mall, souvenirs, and any personal items they wish to purchase.
Are any types of financial aid available for prospective students?
- Currently there is no funding available.
What are the dates of the program?
- The 2015 program dates are still being finalized. The 2014 program dates were July 13th-26th. The dates were the same for both NY and Italy.
Are the students supervised?
- In order to gain the most of campus life at Marist College, students will be supervised by Residential Assistants, whose primary goal is to make sure the students are safe, and to provide them with wholesome recreational and social activities. Adults will oversee the students 24 hours per day.
Where will we live? Where will we eat?
- Pre-College students, both in New York and in Italy, will live in Marist College's dorms and eat in the Marist cafeteria.
Will this count for college credit?
- Students will earn three transferable college credits upon completion of the course.
How hard is the work?
- You will be tackling college level material. You will be challenged, but also encouraged in your learning experience by faculty instructors dedicated to helping you. This program will provide a strong idea about what college work will be like for you.
I plan on flying to New York, what is the best way to get from the plane to the Marist College campus?
- For students planning on flying into the New York City area, Marist will be providing a shuttle service to and from John F Kennedy International Airport.
- The 2015 shuttle information is still being finalized. The 2014 Pre-College shuttle information: The shuttle will leave the airport Saturday, July 12th at 4:00 p.m. and will return student to the airport by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 26th. In order to allocate enough time to go through security and get to your terminal, we recommend students book returning flights for no earlier than 4:00 p.m. on the 26th.
- Students arriving into other locations of the city may take public transportation to JFK and then take the shuttle to Marist. For more information or to make a reservation, please call 845.575.3226. The deadline to register for a spot on the shuttle has yet to be determined. Last year it was Friday, July 1.
- For students planning on flying into Florence, Italy, please contact our office at 845.575.3226 for travel information and recommendations.
- Yes! International students are students who are not currently a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Marist welcomes international students to apply for Summer Pre-College. In addition to the application, international applicants coming from non-native English speaking countries must also submit proof of English proficiency. Please contact the admission office at 845.575.3226 for more information.