Information for Transfer Students
If you enroll at the College as a transfer student in Fall 2013 or later, you will follow
the requirements of the new Marist Core. Policies relevant to transfer students and the
Marist Core curriculum are detailed below. Please see the FAQ page for additional information.
Writing for College (ENG 120)
- Students who have taken College Writing I and II at another institution
(or in high school as part of an articulation agreement) are exempt from
ENG 120 Writing for College.
- Students who have only taken the equivalent of College Writing I still need to
take ENG 120 Writing for College.
The First Year Seminar
- Transfer students who bring in 24 or more earned credits from their previous
institution are exempt from the First Year Seminar.
- Transfer students with fewer than 24 credits who have taken a similar FYS course
at another institution may be able to substitute that course for the Marist FYS.
- Transfer students who bring in 36 or more earned credits from their previous
institution are exempt from the Pathway requirement. They must earn a total
of 36 distribution credits in the following areas: Fine Arts; History; Literature;
Mathematics; Natural Science; Philosophy; Social Science; and Ethics and Justice
(courses in Ethics and Religious Studies). Students must take at
least one three-credit course in each of these 8 subject areas. Foreign language
courses are not required but may also count toward the 36-credit total.
- Transfer students with fewer than 36 credits may count courses taken at their
previous institution toward the Pathway, provided they are applicable to the Pathway’s topic
- Transfer students must complete an "intensive" course in Technological Competency. A course
from the student's previous institution may count toward this requirement if it meets the criteria
established by the College.
- All transfer students must take the Capping course required by their major.