Marist in Manhattan
Attention all college students! Get the practical experience you need to succeed in the exciting world of art, fashion, or media. Marist in Manhattan combines a residential stay and a full-time credit-bearing internship with some of the industry’s top companies, complemented by group activities, lectures, networking opportunities, and all that the City has to offer.
Qualified students can earn 12-15 college credits, combining field experience and Internet-based coursework in the premiere Communications capital of the world. Students will be placed in a high-profile internship, spending 3 or more 8-hour work days per week in a professional setting. Also, students will be enrolled in a minimum of one 3-credit online course. All students will be required to maintain full-time status, or to remain enrolled for 12 or more credits during Fall & Spring semesters.
National surveys consistently show that internship experience benefits students when it comes to seeking jobs and launching their careers. These are just a few of the many benefits students receive from doing internships:
- Gain professional experience
- Make career contacts
- Enhance self-confidence
- Get a competitive edge in the job market
- Increase “insider” knowledge of the field
Recent students have interned at a wide variety of facilities relevant to their respective field.
Art Internships: National Museum of the American Indian, Young & Rubicam The Madison Group Studio, Rodale Press,Dieu Donne Press
Fashion Internships: A/X Armani: Exchange, Allure Magazine, BCBG, CHANEL .Inc, COACH
Communication / Media Studies Internships: New York Knicks/Madison Square Garden, DeVries Global, Viacom, Dateline NBC, ABC News, CBS Sports, CNN
English Internships: Pegasus Press, Us Magazine, AMI Publications, Shape Magazine, Food Network Magazine
And so many more!
How to Apply
Spring: September 21
Fall: February 15
A completed application consists of the following:
1. Download this Application Packet, and submit your materials:
- Updated current resume (including previous internships or career-related jobs)
- Brief essay outlining your career goals and why you want to take part in Marist in Manhattan (300-500 words).
- Two recommendation/referral forms from faculty members and/or your academic advisor
2. Pay online your non-refundable application fee of $75
Applicants should deliver their application materials directly to their Internship Directors:
- Communication: Gerry McNulty, Lowell Thomas 150
- Fashion: Juan-Manuel Olivera-Silvera, Fashion Dept., Steel Plant
- Art: Laura Hammond-Toonkel, Steel Plant
- Business: Ken Coletti, Dyson 154
*Note: This program is open to non-enrolled Marist students who are currently matriculated at a 4-year year baccalaureate institution and are in good academic standing. Non-Marist (visiting) students must provide a copy of their most recent official transcript. This document should be ordered from the student's college/university Registrar Office and sent to: "Marist in Manhattan Program, Lowell Thomas 150, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601.