|Name:||Dr. Pablo Rivas|
|Title:||Assistant Professor of Computer Science|
|Office Location:||Hancock Center 3003|
|Extension:||(845) 575-3000 ext. 2086|
|Personal Web Page:||http://www.reev.us|
B.S. in Computer Science, Nogales Institute of Technology, Mexico
M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, Chihuahua Institute of Technology, Mexico
Pablo Rivas is a Member of the ACM and IEEE. He received the B.S. degree in computer science in 2003, the M.S. in electrical engineering in 2007, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Texas at El Paso in 2011.
He has worked as Software Engineer for 8 years. He has national and international publications in the fields of computer science and electrical engineering. His current research interests include machine learning, intelligent software systems, remote sensing, soft computing, and image processing. Dr. Rivas is member of the Computer Society and Computational Intelligence Society, both IEEE; also of the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, SIAM; member of the Hispanic-American Fuzzy Systems Association, HAFSA; and member of the International Association of Engineers, IAENG.
He has been recognized for his creativity; he has received the IEEE Student Enterprise Award in 2007, and a Research Excellence Award from the Paul L. Foster Health Sciences School of Medicine of Texas Tech University in 2009. Dr. Rivas was an intern at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, in 2009; and in 2011 was inducted to the International Honor Society Eta Kappa Nu (HKN) for his academic excellence and outstanding professional achievements. Prior to his appointment at Marist College, Dr. Rivas was a post-doctoral research scientist and an adjunct professor at Baylor University in the Computer Science department.
Primary interests include machine learning and large-scale data mining in big data analytics, large-scale multidimensional multispectral signal analysis, statistical pattern recognition methods, image restoration, image analysis, intelligent software systems, and health-care imaging.
Secondary interests include applied mathematics, numerical optimization, swarm intelligence optimization, evolutionary algorithms, soft computing, fuzzy logic, neural networks, and neurofuzzy systems.
1. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Erich Baker, Greg Hamerly, and Bryan Shaw, "Detection of Leukocoria using a Soft Fusion of Expert Classifiers under Non-clinical Settings", vol. 14, no. 110, in BMC Ophthalmology. 9/2014.
2. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "Statistical and Neural Pattern Recognition Methods for Dust Aerosol Detection," in International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 34, no. 21, 4/2013.
3. Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Ernesto Sifuentes, "A distributed localization algorithm for wireless sensor networks based on the solutions of spatially-constrained local problems", in Sensors Journal, IEEE, vol. 13, no. 6, 4/2013.
4. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, David Garcia Chaparro, Abel Quezada Carreon, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "Forecasting The Demand of Short-Term Electric Power Load with Large-Scale LP-SVR", in Smart Grid and Renewable Energy, vol. 4, 2, 4/2013.
5. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "An algorithm for training a large scale support vector machine for regression based on linear programming and decomposition methods", in Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 439-451, 3/2013.
6. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "A nonlinear least squares quasi-Newton strategy for LP-SVR hyper-parameters selection", in International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 5, no. 4, 2/2013.
7. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, J. A. Perez Venzor, David Garcia Chaparro, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "LP-SVR Model Selection Using an Inexact Globalized Quasi-Newton Strategy", in Journal of Intelligent Learning Systems and Applications, vol. 5, pp. 19-28, 2/2013.
8. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Juan Cota-Ruiz, David Garcia Chaparro, J. A. Perez Venzor, Abel Quezada Carreon, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, "Support Vector Machines for Regression: A Succinct Review of Large-Scale and Linear Programming Formulations", in International Journal of Intelligence Science, vol. 3, pp. 5-14, 1/2013.
9. Juan Cota-Ruiz, Jose-Gerardo Rosiles, Ernesto Sifuentes, Pablo Rivas-Perea, "A Low-Complexity Geometric Bilateration Method for Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks and Its Comparison with Least-Squares Methods", in Sensors, vol. 12, pp. 839-862, 1/2012
10. Mario Ignacio Chacon Murguia, Yearim Quezada-Holguin, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Sergio Cabrera, "Dust Storm Detection Using a Neural Network with Uncertainty and Ambiguity Output Analysis", in Pattern Recognition, ed. Jose Francisco Martinez-Trinidad et~al., vol. 6718, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 305-313. 6/2011.
11. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Jose G. Rosiles and Wei Qian, "Subjective Colocalization Analysis with Fuzzy Predicates," in Soft Computing for Intelligent Control and Mobile Robotics, Oscar Castillo, Witold Pedrycz, Janusz Kacprzyk Eds. Computational Intelligence Series of Springer-Verlag. 1/2011.
12. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Jose G. Rosiles, Mario I. Chacon Murguia and James J. Tilton, "Automatic Dust Storm Detection Based on Supervised Classification of Multispectral Data," in Soft Computing for Recognition based on Biometrics, Patricia Melin, Janusz Kacprzyk, Witold Pedrycz Eds. Computational Intelligence Series of Springer-Verlag. 9/2010.
13. M. I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Fusion of Fuzzy FFL-KLT and PCNN Features on the Face Recognition Problem," in Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete & Impulsive Systems Journal, Series A: Mathematical Analysis, a Special Issue on Advances in Neural Networks-Theory and Applications, 8/2007.
14. Mario I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, and Graciela Ramirez A., "A Fuzzy Clustering Approach for Face Recognition Based on Face Feature Lines and Eigenvectors," in Engineering Letters Journal, 8/2007.
15. Mario I. Chacon M., Alejandro Zimmerman S., Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Image Processing Applications with a PCNN," in Advances in Neural Networks, Springer LNCS, pp 884-893. 6/2007.
16. Mario I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Face Recognition Based on Human Visual Perception Theories and Unsupervised ANN," Book: "State of The Art in Face Recognition." Publisher: IN-TECH, 436 pages. 2009.
Machine learning and data science for the social good.
How technology can be used to do social justice.
|Conferences & Workshops:||
17. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Ryan Henning, Bryan Shaw, and Greg Hamerly, "Finding the Smallest Circle Containing the Iris in the Denoised Wavelet Domain", Proceedings of the Image Analysis and Interpretation (SSIAI), 2014 IEEE Southwest Symposium on, pp. 13-16, 4/2014.
18. Ryan Henning, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Bryan Shaw, and Greg Hamerly, "A Convolutional Neural Network Approach for Classifying Leukocoria" Proceedings of the Image Analysis and Interpretation (SSIAI), 2014 IEEE Southwest Symposium on, pp. 9-12. 4/2014.
19. Mario Ignacio Chacon Murguia, Yearim Quezada-Holguin, Pablo Rivas-Perea, Sergio Cabrera, "Dust Storm Detection Using a Neural Network with Uncertainty and Ambiguity Output Analysis" Proceedings of MCPR 2011, pp 305-313. 5/2011.
20. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, "Short Term Electric Power Consumption Forecasting using Linear Programming Support Vector Regression," 1st Southwest Energy Science and Engineering Symposium. 4/2011.
21. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, "Large-Scale Sonar Target Detection with L_1-Norm SV Regression based on Unfeasible Interior Point Methods," Proceedings of the 2011 ITEA Live-Virtual-Constructive Conference. 1/2011.
22. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Omar Velarde Anaya, Juan De Dios Cota Ruiz, "Performance Evaluation of Classic and Accurate SVD Computation in a Multispectral Image Segmentation Problem," 2010 IEEE CIINDET, 11/2010.
23. Pablo Rivas-Perea; Rosiles, J. G.; Chacon, M. I.; "Traditional and Neural Probabilistic Multispectral Image Processing for The Dust Aerosol Detection Problem," Image Analysis & Interpretation (SSIAI), 2010 IEEE Southwest Symposium on, pp.169-172, 5/2010.
24. Pablo Rivas-Perea and J. G. Rosiles, "A Probabilistic Model for Stratospheric Soil-Independent Dust Aerosol Detection," in Digital Image Processing and Analysis, Optical Society of America, paper DMD4. 5/2010.
25. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Jose G. Rosiles, Mario I. Chacon, M. "A Classic and Neural Probabilistic Approach to Remote Sensing: The Dust Storm Detection Problem," Proceedings of the International Seminar on Computational Intelligence, 1/2010.
26. Pablo Rivas-Perea, M. I. Chacon M., and J. G. Rosiles, "A Classic and Neural Probabilistic Approach to the Dust Storm Detection Problem," Proceedings of the 2010 ITEA Live-Virtual-Constructive Conference, 1/2010.
27. Pablo Rivas-Perea, J. C. Tilton, and J. G. Rosiles, "Dust Storm Detection Through Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer: A Machine Learning Problem," Proceedings of the 2010 ITEA Live-Virtual-Constructive Conference, 1/2010.
28. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, and Wei Qian, "Fuzzy Predicates from Linguistic Variables for Subjective Quantitative Colocalization Analysis," Proc. 10th U.S. National Congress for Computational Mechanics, 7/2009.
29. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Omar Velarde Anaya, Leonardo Valencia Olvera, Luis Humberto Uribe Chavira, Mario I. Chacon M., Gerardo Rosiles, "Mobile Robot for Face Recognition: A Collaborative Environment," Proc. 2009 High Performance Computing & Simulation Conference, IEEE/ACM/IFIP, 6/2009.
30. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Gerardo Rosiles, and Wei Qian, "Self Organizing Maps for Class Discovery in the Quantitative Colocalization Analysis Feature Space," Proc. 2009 IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 6/2009.
31. Pablo Rivas-Perea, J.G. Rosiles, W. Qian, "Image Restoration for Quantitative Colocalization: Performance Analysis and Response of Colocalization Coefficients," Proc. 3rd Annual Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) Paul L. Foster School of Medicine Research Colloquium, 5/2009.
32. Pablo Rivas-Perea, J.G. Rosiles, W. Qian, "Automatic Quantitative Colocalization Analysis: An Image Restoration and Machine Learning Approach," Proc. 2009 UTEP SACNAS Research Expo, 4/2009.
33. M. I. Chacon M., and Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Performance Analysis of the Feedforward and SOM Neural Networks in the Face Recognition Problem," Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Image and Signal Processing (CIISP 2007). pp. 313-318. Honolulu, Hawaii. 7/2007.
34. Mario I. Chacon M., Pablo Rivas-Perea, and Graciela Ramirez A. "A Fuzzy Logic Clustering Approach For Face Recognition Based on Face Feature Lines and Eigenvectors," IEEE International Seminar on Computational Intelligence ISCI 2006. 10/2006.
35. Pablo Rivas-Perea, M. I. Chacon Murguia, "Face Recognition Using Hough-KLT and a Feed-Forward Backpropagation Neural Network," Proc. XXVIII International Congress on Electronics Engineering, 10/2006.
36. Pablo Rivas-Perea, Mario I. Chacon, "Real Time Motion Detection for Fast Human Identification Based on Face Recognition," Proceedings of the XVI Inter-University Congress on Electronics Computation and Electrical - II Congress of Technological Innovation in Electrical and Electronics, pp 172-177, 4/2006.
37. Pablo Rivas-Perea, M. Chacon, "Evaluation of Motion Detection Methods for Person Identification based on Face Recognition," Proc. XXVII International Congress on Electronics Engineering, 10/2005.
38. Pablo Rivas-Perea, "In Motion Face Recognition Through Multilayer Perceptrons," IEEE/ANaCC/cenidet Proc. of the 11th International Congress on Computer Science Research. 11/2004.
39. Pablo Rivas-Perea, "Slimmer, a Security Mobile Agent for User Authentication on 802.11 WLAN Environments," IEEE/ANaCC/cenidet Proc. of the 10th International Congress on Computer Science Research, 10/2003.
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 2013-Present
Optical Society of America (OSA), 2010-Present
HKN (Eta Kappa Nu), the electrical and computer engineering honor society of the IEEE, Life-long Member since 2011
The Hispanic-American Fuzzy Systems Association, 2006-Present
The International Association of Engineers (IAENG), 2006-Present
The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), 2004-Present
IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, 2003-Present
IEEE Computer Society, 2002-Present
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2001-Present