What is TelePresence?
TelePresence is a next generation video collaboration technology that is transforming the way geographically dispersed people work and communicate by creating the feeling of being in the same room during a meeting.
The main difference between TelePresence systems and conference calls or Skype is the in-person or face-to-face experience which becomes obvious to the meeting participants. This is accomplished through technology that includes: a specially designed meeting room, life-sized ultra-high definition video representations of all participants, and high quality audio.
The technology enables the participants to interact with each other as they would normally if they were in the same room, with no need to interact with the technology. In fact, the technology, by design, becomes “invisible” to the meeting participants.
- Less travel resulting in cost savings, less travel fatigue, and higher productivity through greater availability for meetings that would have otherwise been missed due to travel schedules. And less travel means a healthier planet through a smaller carbon footprint.
- Improved collaboration and communications inside your organization leads to faster resolution of business problems and faster decision making.
- Improved communication and collaboration with suppliers and customers improves supply chain efficiency, increases speed to market, expands market reach, and improves customer satisfaction.
- Improved relationships and loyalty based on the increased trust resulting from virtual “face to face” meetings.
- Enhanced meeting productivity through greater focus from meeting participants since the “face to face” environment discourages distracting multi-tasking which is common on conference calls.
- Make executives and subject matter experts more accessible to others.
TelePresence User Scenarios
- Sales meetings and presentations with remote customers and prospects
- Customer service and support
- Critical problem solving sessions
- Supply chain collaboration
- Press briefings
- Operational or engineering reviews
- Cross functional or regular team meetings
- Enhanced training
- Remote interviewing
- Board meetings
The Marist TelePresence System is based on the Cisco TelePresence System 3010, the most sophisticated “immersive” TelePresence system available. The Marist TelePresence Room is located in the Hancock Center on the Marist College main campus in Poughkeepsie, NY. It includes a boardroom style table that seats six participants across from the remote participants who are displayed on 65-inch plasma screens. The remote participants can connect to the call through a variety of other TelePresence end-points, which can include smaller desktop Cisco TelePresence systems as well as non-Cisco devices.
For More Information
If you would like more information, or if you would like to visit Marist TelePresence or schedule a TelePresence meeting, contact Christine Mulvey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-575-3000 ext 2098.