Hunger Awareness Month at Marist College
POUGHKEEPSIE (Oct. 29, 2013) – The Marist College community will kick-off its annual Hunger Awareness Month activities tomorrow, Oct. 30, with the campus Hunger Walk and Run.
Hunger Awareness Month focuses attention and action on the problem of hunger locally, nationally, and globally, with the aim of raising money to help feed the hungry. Last year, the Marist community raised more than $4,000 for hunger relief organizations and donated 63 boxes of food.
The Hunger Walk and Run will begin Wednesday at 12 p.m. in the Champagnat Courtyard. From there, participants can walk or run a route across campus and out on to Route 9 through the South Gate, before returning to campus through the Main Gate and returning to the courtyard.
Other Hunger Awareness Month activities include:
- Buck Hunger, Tuesday and Wednesday, Nov. 5th and 6th, all day: On-campus fundraising effort to benefit Bread for the World, Dutchess Outreach, and Lazarus House Ministries
- Hunger Meal, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 6:30 p.m., Student Center Cabaret, with guest speaker Mary Marshall, director of Catholic Charities in Dutchess County. Tickets will be sold in Donnelly Hall and at the Dining Hall Wednesday, Nov. 6 - Friday, Nov. 8 and Monday Nov. 11.Tickets will also be available at the door on Nov. 12. Faculty and staff, $5; students, $3.00. Participants will receive a ticket to be served either a First-, Second-, or Third-World meal.
- Chapel Food Collection, Friday, Nov. 15, Bring non-perishable food donations to the Chapel. In addition, fraternal organizations and ARCO (Appreciating Races, Creating Opportunity) will do door-to-door collections for food donations at campus housing
- Food Blessing, Sunday, Nov. 17, during Mass
- Food Distribution, Tuesday, Nov. 19
- Petition Day, Monday, Nov. 18, Volunteers will be at both sides of the Dining Hall asking fellow students on the Meal Plan to sign a petition to Stop Hunger. Sodexo will donate $1 for every signature, up to 1,000
Also, starting with the Women’s Basketball opener against Kentucky on Friday, Nov. 8, Coach Brian Giorgis will donate 10 cents to hunger relief efforts in the Hudson River Valley for each fan who attends his team’s home games this season. Fans can also qualify for a special raffle by bringing cans of food to the Kentucky game. Kentucky Coach Matthew Mitchell will match Giorgis’s contribution for the Nov. 8 game.
For more on Coach Giorgis’s commitment to alleviating hunger, see the story on GoRedFoxes.com.
For more information on Hunger Awareness Month at Marist, contact Campus Ministry by email or at (845) 575-3000, ext. 2275.