US Citizen Requirement

All New York State student aid programs have citizenship requirements.  New York State uses the same criteria used for federal student aid programs to determine eligibility.  To be eligible, you must be one of the following:

  • United States citizen (includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands) or U.S. national (includes American Samoa and Swain’s Island);
  • Permanent U.S. resident with a Form I-151 (Alien Registration Receipt Card) or Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card), without conditions;
  • Holder of a Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) showing one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Indefinite Parole,” and/or “Humanitarian Parole, Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending,” “Conditional Entrant (valid if issued before April 1, 1980);
  • Citizen of the Freely Associated States, the Pacific Islands of Palau, the Marshall Islands, or the Federated States of Micronesia; or
  • Participant in a suspension of deportation case pending before Congress.

Students in the United States on an F1 or F2 visa only or on a J1 or J2 Exchange visa only are not eligible.