Contacting Security: Reporting a Crime/Emergency
|Campus Emergencies||x5555 or 845-575-5555|
|Other On-Campus Calls||x2282|
|SNAP Escort Service||xSNAP (7627) or 845-575-7627|
Confidential Reporting Procedures
If you are the victim of a crime and do not want to pursue action within the College Discipline or the criminal justice system, you may still want to consider making a confidential report. With your permission, the Director or a designee of the Marist College Office of Safety and Security can file a report on the details of the incident without revealing your identity. The purpose of a confidential report is to comply with your wish to keep the matter confidential, while taking steps to ensure the future safety of yourself and others. With such information, the College can keep accurate records of the number of incidents involving students, determine where there is a pattern of crime with regard to a particular location, method, or assailant, and alert the campus community to potential danger. Reports filed in this manner are counted and disclosed in the annual crime statistics for the institution. Reports may be made in person or by calling the Office of Safety and Security at 845-471-1822 or extension 2282.
Campus Communication of Emergency Conditions
Marist College Security and the Office of Student Affairs, in cooperation with the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department and the Fairview Fire Department are prepared to act in response to varied safety situations that may confront the campus community. These include criminal acts, fires, unusual weather events, health emergencies, power outages, evacuation, etc.
In addition, Physical Plant, Health Services and other departments stand ready to act when unusual circumstances arise. The college also liaisons with a variety of public and private agencies and to supplement our emergency needs.
When crimes, dangerous situations, health related, or other unusual events occur, the College (Vice President for Student Affairs, Chief College Relations Officer, Director of Security, Associate Director for Safety, Asst. Director of Security - Operations) is committed to disseminating timely and accurate information to the community.
When a significant situation is identified and confirmed, information about such an event(s) is broadcast to the community by one or more of the following methods:
- Marist Alerts
- The college e-mail system
- Posted on the college website
- Campus phone system
- Campus TV station -scroll text or full screen
- Campus newspaper
- Broadcast messages from Campus Security Vehicles’ Public Address systems
- Delivered “Door to Door” by Security and Residence Life staff
Emergency Response and Evacuation
- The College has an Emergency Response Team (CERT) that meets to prepare for and respond to any emergency that may occur on campus.
- The College will immediately notify the campus community upon the confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or staff. Warnings will be withheld only if they would compromise efforts to contain the emergency.
- When an emergency situation occurs on campus, Security Officers are dispatched to assess and render aid. Additionally, local and state police, and fire and EMS resources are immediately requested depending upon the emergency.
- Specific emergency response and evacuation procedures may be initiated by the Office of Safety and Security and members of the CERT team or other qualified persons.
- When it is confirmed that a serious emergency or dangerous situation exists, relevant information will be disseminated to the College community by a variety of methods including Marist Alerts, e-mail, the College's web site or other means.
The Office of Safety and Security is located in
Donnelly Hall, Room 201