M.A. in Mental Health Counseling:
The Personal Choice for Your Professional Journey
The Marist College MA in Mental Health Counseling Program will prepare you for your career as a professional counselor so that you can make a difference in the lives of children, adolescents, and adults. The Program provides both on campus and online courses, and professional field experiences in a variety of mental health settings. Marist’s Program is fully accredited by the NY State Education Department and provides the knowledge and skills to become a NY Licensed Mental Health Counselor. Request a program brochure to learn more! Ready to begin? Start your application today!
Why You Should Choose the Marist College MA in Mental Health Counseling Program:
A Path to Professional Employment
Of the graduates from the class of 2012, 86% are employed as professional counselors or are in doctoral programs – an excellent employment rate given the current economic climate.
High Training Standards
Marist’s Program standards exceed the NY State Licensure requirements and call for additional clinical coursework in:
- Family & couples counseling
- Crisis & trauma intervention
- Chemical dependency counseling
- Counselor supervision.
In addition to the required counseling courses, a number of advanced counseling electives allow students to choose training in specialized clinical areas such as:
- Grief Counseling
- College Mental Health Counseling
- Counseling the Seriously Mentally Ill
- Counseling Children & Adolescents.
Success Rate with the NY Licensing Exam
The NY licensing exam is very difficult - only about 61% of individuals pass the exam.* The pass-rate for graduates of the Marist Mental Health Counseling Program is higher than that of the majority of NY counselor programs*, including:
- Fordham University
- Iona College
- New York University
- St. John's University
- College of St. Rose
- Pace University
- Manhattan College
- Long Island University
- Sage Graduate School College of New Rochelle
- John Jay College
- Mercy College
*Based on NYS Education Dept. data for 2006-2012.
Preparation for Doctoral Level Studies
Graduates of our Program have gone on to Ph.D. and Psy.D. Programs in Counseling or Clinical Psychology at such prestigious programs as:
- Columbia University
- University at Buffalo
- Spalding University
- Palo Alto University
Wondering why our counseling students chose the Marist MA in Mental Health Counseling Program over other programs?
Here’s what they said were the most important reasons…
- Marist College’s Reputation
- The Counseling Curriculum and Clinically-Experienced Faculty
- Small Class Sizes and Excellent Faculty:Student Ratio
- Location - in the beautiful Mid-Hudson Valley
- The Variety of Clinical Training Sites that includes: hospital mental health programs, community mental health agencies, college counseling centers, residential treatment programs, and substance abuse/mental health agencies.
To read more about the MA in Mental Health Counseling Program, visit the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences website.