High School Graduation Requirement



For students seeking their first New York State financial aid award in academic year 2006-2007 and thereafter, Education Law requires you to have a high school diploma from a recognized school providing secondary education within the United States or to have a GED/high school equivalency diploma. 

If you first received NYS financial aid in academic year 1996-1997 through 2005-2006, you must have a high school transcript confirming graduation or have a GED/high school equivalency diploma on file at Marist College.  It is the student's responsibility to submit a final, official high school transcript confirming graduation or a GED at the time of admission.  Students who fail to submit the official high school transcript or GED at the time of admission will not be certified for (will not receive) their award or scholarship until the transcript has been submitted to the TAP Certifying Officer in the Office of the Registrar.

Home Schooled Students

If you have been home schooled, you must meet one of the same criteria — high school diploma, or high school equivalency diploma, -- to be eligible for State student financial aid as do those students who attend public high schools.  However, home schooled students do not receive a high school diploma that is acceptable for financial aid purposes as only public and registered non-public schools in New York State are permitted by Education Law to award diplomas.
Therefore, if you were home schooled, you must demonstrate your eligibility for financial aid in one of the following ways:

  • Obtain a letter from local school district officials confirming that you have received an education “substantially equivalent” to instruction given to students graduating high school in the public schools; or
  • Take and pass the GED test.

Obtain additional information on home schooling from the New York State Education Department

Foreign High School Credentials

In 2006, the New York State Legislature amended the Education Law pertaining to eligibility for State student financial aid.  The amendment affects students who received their first financial aid award in academic year 2006-2007 and thereafter. 
To be eligible for State student financial aid, you now must have a certificate of graduation from a high school in the United States or the equivalent of such certificate (for example, a GED or high school equivalency diploma).  If you graduated from a high school in another country, your high school diploma or academic transcript is no longer acceptable.