New York State Scholarships (TAP)

New York State Grants, Scholarships, and Awards

Grants, scholarships, and awards do not have to be paid back. You should always explore the "free money" opportunities available to you before taking out a student loan.

New York State (NYS) students may be eligible for a variety of state grant, scholarship, and award programs to help pay for college. Most of the NYS scholarships are administered by the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

NYS grants, scholarships, and awards include:

  • Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
  • NYS Math & Science Teaching Incentive Scholarship
  • NYS Scholarships for Academic Excellence
  • NYS World Trade Center Memorial Scholarships
  • Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA)

Please refer to the HESC website for a complete list of NYS programs.

PLEASE NOTE: The only New York State scholarship available to graduate students is the Veterans Tuition Awards.  Graduate students are not currently eligible for TAP.

General Student Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for NYS scholarships, a student must satisfy several requirements. Initially, students are approved or rejected for an award based on information submitted on the application. Approval for an award is tentative and is based on an assumption that information on the application is correct and that the student will meet all other required eligibility criteria. Final approval for an award is contingent upon institutional certification of student eligibility.

The following is a summary of student eligibility criteria. It is the student’s responsibility to understand the criteria and take the necessary steps to maintain eligibility. Click on the link for more information about each requirement.

  • Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Be a legal resident of New York State
  • Study at an approved postsecondary institution in New York State 
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, or have earned a GED
  • Be enrolled as a full-time student taking 12 or more credits (applicable toward your degree program) per semester
  • Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing
  • Have declared a major no later than within 30 days from end of the add/drop period in the first term of your sophomore year in an approved two-year program or in the first term of your junior year in an approved four-year program
  • Meet good academic standing requirements

Individual scholarships may have additional requirements Please refer to the HESC website for a complete description of each scholarship.