A transition in italy florence

Transition to Florence

Menu Display



A visa is a permission for a foreign citizen to enter another country. A visa is usually a stamp made in the traveler’s passport. This stamp not only allows the bearer to enter the country issuing it but also defines the terms by which the bearer can remain in the country.

There are several different types of visas – including visas for travel, work, and study. The terms of a visa differ depending on which country the person requesting the visa comes from. In this case, the Italian Government will outline the terms for citizens of each country. Details on Italian Visas can be found on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website.

To attend Marist-Italy the majority of students will require a student visa:

  • U.S. Citizens will apply for a visa using the steps and documents provided in the Italian Student Visa Section for US Students.
  • Because Italy is part of the E.U. and honors E.U. agreements, Citizens of E.U. nations do not need to apply for a visa.
  • Students who are not US or EU citizens will also need to apply for a visa

Italian Study Visas for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Citizens applying for a student visa for the FFE, Bachelor and Master Degree and Study Abroad programs must be 18 years of age.

Marist-Italy is able to assist U.S. students applying to an Italian Consulate within the United States.  US citizens should visit the Student Visa Portal for step by step instructions on how to prepare the visa application. This module contains detailed instructions, sample documents, and copies of forms needed to complete the visa application.

US citizens are allowed to stay in Italy for up to 90 days without applying for a Visa. This means that students arriving prior to the start date of their visa or staying past the expiration point on the visa have flexibility.  

Italian Study Visas for non-U.S. Citizens

Students who are not U.S. citizens are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the Italian visa application and requirements for their country of residence.  Information on visa requirements can be found on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs webpage. 

Marist-Italy will provide each student with a Marist College sponsor letter and a Certificato. Both documents are required for most Italian Student visas.   If students need documents beyond those provided by Marist-Italy the College is happy to assist the student. It is the responsibility of the student to identify and request these documents. In order for Marist to release these documents students must complete and send back the original verification of enrollment form.

If living in the United States, they should also inquire with U.S. immigration authorities (or the designated officer on campus) about the possible necessity of obtaining a new visa to re-enter the U.S.