Start Your Career in Behavioral Health Care with Marist College's MA in Mental Health Counseling Program
Affordability and Financial Support
The cost of tuition at Marist is actually in the middle of the cost range from least to most expensive NY programs. Furthermore, in the past 4 years, more than 80% of students qualified for a Marist Merit Scholarship of $3,000-$5,000, and about 40% of students were awarded a two-year graduate assistantship valued at $9,000.
A Path to Professional Employment
For the last 4 years, about 85% of our graduates were employed in the mental health field within 4 months of receiving their degree – an excellent employment rate given the economic climate!
Success with the NY Counselor Licensing Exam
According to data provided by the NYSED, the pass-rate for Marist graduates on the very challenging National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Exam is higher than the majority of NY counselor programs.
High Training Standards
Marist's Program standards exceed the NY State Licensure requirements and call for additional clinical coursework in:
• Family & couples counseling
• Crisis & trauma intervention
• Chemical dependency counseling
• Counselor supervision.
In addition to the required counseling courses, a number of advanced counseling electives allow students to choose training in specialized clinical areas such as:
• Grief Counseling
• College Mental Health Counseling
• Counseling the Seriously Mentally Ill
• Counseling Children & Adolescents.
Student-Faculty Research Opportunities for Students Preparing for Doctoral Applications
50% of the counseling students from the last 4 years have chosen to work on collaborative research projects with faculty, often resulting in the co-presenting of research posters or oral presentations at professional conferences. Student Research Grant funding is available to students to support these research ventures. These research opportunities are particularly important for those students preparing to apply to doctoral programs.
Success with Students Gaining Admission to Doctoral Programs
Graduates of our Program have gone on to Ph.D. and Psy.D. Programs in Counseling or Clinical Psychology at such prestigious programs as:
• Columbia University
• University at Buffalo
• Spalding University
• Palo Alto University
• Alliant International University
Wondering why our counseling students chose the Marist MA in Mental Health Counseling Program over other programs?
Here's what they said were the most important reasons...
• Marist College's Reputation
• The Counseling Curriculum and Clinically-Experienced Faculty
• Small Class Sizes and Excellent Faculty: Student Ratio
• Location - in the beautiful Mid-Hudson Valley
• The Variety of Clinical Training Sites that includes: hospital mental health programs, community mental health agencies, college counseling centers, residential treatment programs, and substance abuse/mental health agencies.
Alumni and Student Profiles
|Joe Cook, 2015
St. Christopher's Inn
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
|Meaghan Hughes, 2019
Westchester Medical Center
To read more about the MA in Mental Health Counseling Program, visit the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences website.