Assistant Professor of Communication
Dr. Ariyasriwatana came to Marist with a background in advertising, particularly as a Senior Strategic Planner and Consumer Insights Manager. Advertising agencies she worked for include McCann Worldgroup, Ogilvy & Mather, Hakuhodo, Publicis, and BBDO. Her latest research project, “ ‘Healthy Deliciousness’: Discovering the Secret to Healthy Eating via Social Media,” characterizes expressions of healthiness, deliciousness, and “Healthy Deliciousness” through qualitative content analysis of online restaurant reviews on Yelp.com. She previously taught at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Chaminade University, and Savannah State University.
PhD, Communication and Information Sciences – University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2018
MA, Global Marketing Communication and Advertising – Emerson College, 2002
Bachelor of Economics – Chulalongkorn University, 2000
Research Interests/Areas of Focus
Strategic communication, social media, food communication, health communication, intercultural communication, consumer insights, and beauty.
Ariyasriwatana, W., & Quiroga, L. M. (2016). A thousand ways to say 'delicious!'—Categorizing expressions of deliciousness from restaurant reviews on the social network site Yelp. Appetite, 104, 18-32.
Ariyasriwatana, W., Buente, W., Oshiro, M., & Streveler, D. (2014). Categorizing health-related cues to action: using Yelp reviews of restaurants in Hawaii. New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 20(4), 317-340.
- Flan with benefits: Cross-cultural study of dessert online reviews between Bangkok and Hawaii. The 11th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium (2015), Gothenburg, Sweden
- A Thousand ways to say ‘delicious!’ The 6th European Conference on Sensory and Consumer Research (2014), Copenhagen, Denmark
- Why we eat fast-food: Revealing insights from Yelp reviews of fast-food restaurants on the island of Oahu (Hawaii). The 13th East-West Center International Graduate Student Conference (2014), Honolulu, Hawaii
- Characterizing health-related cues to action: Using Yelp reviews of restaurants on Hawaii’s Oahu island. The 4th Asian Conference on Media and Mass Communication (2013), Osaka, Japan
- Intercultural communication in the educational context. The 29th Pacific Rim International Conference on Disability and Diversity (2013), Honolulu, Hawaii
- From Customer Experience to Personalization: Developing Customer Experience Management (CEM) Technology for Cosmetic Industry (awarded with distinction). University of Hawaii’s Library and Information Science Program Poster Conference (2011), Honolulu, Hawaii
Selected Awards and Honors
- Two of the strategies she planned while working at McCann Worldgroup Thailand – Nescafe Cappuccino 3-in-1 (also implemented in European market without any adaptation) and Nescafe PROTECT – were recognized as one of the three best strategies of the year (in different years) by Nestle global headquarters in Switzerland.
- Young Scientist Award from the organizing committee of the 11th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium, 2015
- University of Hawaii at Manoa: Achievement Scholarships from the Office of Graduate Education (2013-2016), Graduate Student Organization (GSO) grant (2014)
- Asia Pacific Leadership Program (APLP, the East-West Center’s flagship program), 2009-2010
- Department of State Scholarship and Hawaii Pacific Rim Scholarship
- Intercultural Management Program (ICMP, the Japan-America Institute of Management Science’s program), 2008. Fujitsu Asia Pacific Scholarship Program
- CISV International Selected by the National Youth Bureau of Thailand to be a Village Leader representing Thailand in “Roots and Wings Village,” organized in Cortland Manor, New York
- Nagoya University Program for Academic Exchange, 1998-1999 AIEJ (Association of International Education, Japan) Scholarship