Department of Computing Technology
B.S. in Information Technology and Systems
Information Technology and Systems (ITS) is an exciting new major that combines the best of Information Systems and Information Technology. ITS provides a common foundation in computing and business before branching out into two concentrations: Information Technology (IT) and Information Systems (IS).
An ITS major with a concentration in IS gives students a broad background in the rapidly changing discipline of Information Systems, which serves as a bridge between Computer Science and Business. The program's courses offer a balance of technical and business skills that are pertinent to the development, implementation and maintenance of information systems in a variety of organizational settings. IS includes an exciting focus on Business Intelligence, Data Measures, Data Warehouses and Information Quality.
An ITS major with a concentration in IT prepares students in the areas of networking technologies, web technologies and multimedia. In the area of networking technologies, students study the hardware and software components of networks and issues related to the design, implementation, administration, and security of networks. Web technology courses deal with the latest technologies in web development including client-side and server-side technologies and e-commerce systems. Students also study multimedia and the design of graphical interfaces.
Program Goals & Objectives
- Prepare students for employment in a technology field or for graduate study in a technology field.
- Provide students with both theoretical knowledge and skills-based proficiencies in the five core technology competencies: programming, hardware, data communications, data management, and systems/software analysis and design.
- Provide students with fundamental knowledge of business administration and management so that graduates will be able to work effectively within businesses and organizations.
- Develop interpersonal skills for working effectively on teams.
- Develop effective written and oral communication skills.
- Educate students about the behavioral, social, and ethical aspects of technology.
Some of the Careers Available to Graduates of this Program
Data Quality Analyst
Information Technology and Systems B.S. Course Requirements
Students will be held to the requirements of the catalog of the year in which they declare their major. Following are the requirements for the most recent catalog.
Bachelor Of Science In Information Technology and Systems
Information Technology and Information Systems Minors
Students who have declared their major in a prior year should consult the appropriate catalog .