Dear Psychology Major,
Please read this carefully before clicking on the icon below for the "focused elective permission" form. As you know, there are 6 credits in your major designated as "Life after Marist, Personalize Your Major," or as seen on your degree audit "Internship/Research/Focused Electives." The faculty would like you to use these 6 credits for internships or research. For most students, this will be the best way to prepare you for the work force and/or graduate school. However, we are willing to consider your using these 6 credits to take more psychology classes - but you must provide a good reason for this choice.
Thus, on the form below, you will be asked to explain your decision to take classes instead of registering for an internship or research. Please talk to your adviser about all the options (more psychology classes, PSYC485 Research, Independent Study, PSYC487-490 Internship).
Of course, you can take as many courses in psychology as you would like! Many students take more than the required 16 credits of "breadth" courses. This form is to be used only if you are asking to take psychology electives INSTEAD OF the 6 credits we recommend in internships and/or research. And, you may "mix and match" (e.g. 3 credits of internship and 3 credits of research). Again, you must speak with your adviser for assistance in making this decision.
If you decide you want permission to take a psychology course INSTEAD OF internship or research, you must do the following:
- Open the form below, complete it online, and print it.
- You sign the form, and then bring it to your adviser.
- Your adviser will ask you why you want to make this choice.
- Get your adviser's signature.
- Bring the form with your signature and the adviser's signature to the Department Chair.
- The Department Chair may ask you why you are making this choice as well.
- Get the Department Chair's signature.
- Take the form to the Registrar's office.
Good luck with your decision.
Click here to access the focused elective permission form.