Campus Pause Extended Through April 4, 2021
Dear Marist students,
We are writing to inform you that Marist will be continuing our precautionary campus pause through Sunday, April 4. While the increase in cases has slowed, the number of active cases has not declined as quickly as in past pauses. We would like to resume appropriate on-campus activities and classes on Monday, April 5, but our ability to do so will depend on the data we receive over the next few days. We will provide additional updates between now and Sunday, April 4.
We understand your frustration with the current situation. We too share that frustration and are committed to resuming our on-ground experience for students this semester as soon as possible. The College will do everything it can to help move us toward that goal, and with your help, we will do so faster. It is more critical than ever that students follow public health guidelines and while we recognize that the vast majority of students have done so, the College is vigorously taking action against those who do not. As a reminder, anyone who sees violations of the COVID Code of Conduct are encouraged to call (845) 575-MASK to report an incident so the College can investigate.
We believe our continued vigilance and the increased availability for vaccines, beginning Tuesday, April 6, for individuals 16 and older, will provide a safer community and make the remainder of the Spring 2021 semester successful.
Geoff Brackett, Executive Vice President
Thom Wermuth, Vice President for Academic Affairs
Deb DiCaprio, Vice President for Student Affairs
As a reminder from previous communications, below is more information during the temporary pause.
Dining Service Updates:
- Walk-up service at the Murray Student Center Dining Hall will be paused until further notice. Grubhub takeout and DiningHall2Go Delivery to Zone 1 will continue to be available.
- Effective 5:00 pm today, Marketplace will be closed until further notice. To continue to provide students with a variety of options, Marketplace grill menu favorites will be offered at North End Dining for the duration of the Marketplace closure.
- North End Dining delivery service will expand to Zone 4 (Lower Fulton Townhouses and Lower West Cedar Townhouses) and Zone 5 (Upper West Cedar and Upper Fulton Townhouses), in addition to Zones 1-3. Click here to view the delivery map.
- Cabaret will expand delivery service to seven days a week from 5:00 - 9:30 pm. Cabaret will continue to deliver Chick N Bap, Simply to Go, and Gocery2Go menu items to Zones 1-5.
Approved student activities during the temporary pause include:
- Reporting for surveillance/targeted testing, unless in isolation or quarantine.
- Engaging in outdoor activities and exercise with your immediate household or pod using safe social distancing practices. Examples of acceptable activities include walking; jogging; biking; skateboarding, hiking, throwing a frisbee, football, baseball, softball, etc.
- Essential errands such as grocery shopping, attending medical appointments, internships, and on & off-campus jobs.
During the pause the following limitations will continue:
- All classes will be remote.
- The McCann Recreation Center will be fully closed.
- No in-person gatherings are permitted outside of immediate households/pods.
- No visitors or guests will be permitted in ANY residence hall.
- Division I Athletics programs will continue to be suspended.
- All College-organized in-person activities will be suspended.
- Specific residence halls may be notified of individual measures that may be put into place (e.g., precautionary quarantine, targeted testing)
How Can You Help?
We need everyone to stay vigilant and committed to protecting the pack so we can work towards keeping our community open, maintaining in-person instruction, and continuing the on-campus activities we enjoy. Report for surveillance testing when you are called. If you see any Marist community member violating our COVID-19-related Code of Conduct, please call (845) 575-MASK.
If you need to speak with a counselor, services are available and can be arranged by calling (845) 575-3314 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis after-hours, you can contact the Office of Security at (845) 471-1822 to access the on-call counselor.
As a reminder, we will continue to update the Marist community on the temporary campus pause as more information becomes available. As always, information about COVID-19 cases related to the College is available on our dashboard, which is updated frequently. Thank you for your continued cooperation.