Tracey J. Niemotko, JD, CPA, CFE
Associate Professor of Accounting
As an attorney-at-law, certified public accountant, and certified fraud examiner, Prof. Niemotko brings a wealth of experience to more than thirty years of teaching accounting. Having worked for public accounting firms for over a decade, she excels at helping students bridge the gap between academic theories and business practices.
Professor Niemotko takes delight in helping students understand business and the vital role that accurate, comprehensive accounting plays in ensuring fairness, honesty, and the successful functioning of the free-enterprise system. She enjoys teaching students, sharing her enthusiasm for accounting with them, and helping equip them to succeed in the workplace through mastering financial and accounting principles. In class, she focuses on the technical as well as the "soft skills" in communication and public relations that will help her students thrive in whatever environment they choose.
Prof. Niemotko remains active with the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA); she has served on its Board and was appointed as one of its representatives on the Governing Council of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). Her current research focuses on sustainability accounting and reporting; she is a Fundamentals of Sustainability Accounting (FSA) credential holder and a member of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) Sustainability Alliance.
Prof. Niemotko was recently honored by being included among the Top 100 Most Influential People in Accounting by Accounting Today. She lives in the Hudson Valley and enjoys cooking and kick-boxing -- but not at the same time!
JD, Fordham University School of Law
BS, Fordham University, College of Business Administration
Professional Licenses (NYS)
Certified Public Accountant
Certified Fraud Examiner
- Niemotko, Tolan A How-To Guide for Business School Practitioners, Information Age Publishing - Publication Pending (2023)
- Niemotko, Tolan, Sustainability Accounting and Reporting: The Evolution of Management Accountability, Kendall-Hunt (2022) https://he.kendallhunt.com/product/sustainability-accounting-and-reporting-evolution-management-accountability
- Niemotko, Accounting Basics: A Survival Guide for Students, Kendall-Hunt, 3rd Edition, https://he.kendallhunt.com/product/accounting-basics-survival-guide-students
- Niemotko, "Learners and Employers Call for More Innovative Accounting Education" Accounting Today (May 2022) https://www.accountingtoday.com/opinion/academia-needs-better-skill-sets-for-future-accounting-professionals
- Niemotko, Tolan, Carey, "Student Engagement in the Online Environment" The CPA Journal, https://www.cpajournal.com/2020/10/21/student-engagement-in-the-online-environment/
- Niemotko, Tolan, Figueroa, "Mid-Hudson Chapter Members Mentor Accounting Students: An Effective Collaboration" The Trusted Professional, NYSSCPA Publication, (Fall 2020).
- Niemotko, "The IRS Limits Loan Forgiveness in the Paycheck Protection Program" Accounting Today, https://www.accountingtoday.com/magazine/
- Niemotko, Tolan, "Online Accounting Courses: Transition and Emerging Issues" The CPA Journal Vol. 24, No. 5.
- Niemotko, Esposito, Navigating the TCFD, SEC, and ISSB Climate Disclosure Requirements, Tech Session Webinar NYSSCPA CPE (2022)
- Niemotko, The Accounting Evolution: Revamping the Accounting Education in the United States, The Athens Institute for Education and Research, 20th Annual International Conference on Accounting (2022)
- Niemotko, Tolan, Approaching Universal Justice through Sustainable Business Practices, Dominican Higher Education Colloquium: Weaving a Tapestry of Universal Justice (2022)
- Niemotko, Tolan, Sustainability Accounting and Reporting: The Evolution of Management Accountability, Northeast Business and Economics Association (NBEA) Conference (2021)
- Niemotko, The Future of Accounting Education, NYSSCPA Accounting Educator Symposium Panel Presentation (2021)
- Niemotko/Tolan, Incorporating Sustainability into the Accounting Curriculum, Venture Fest Program, SUNY New Paltz (2021)
- Niemotko, Tolan, Kravtiz, Sustainability Accounting and Reporting (SAR): The Accountant's Role Moving Forward, The Athens Institute for Education and Research, 19th Annual International Conference on Accounting (2021)
- Niemotko, Kravitz, "The 10K and the Search for Meaning - Has Financial Reporting Lost Its Way?" NYSSCPA, The Sustainability Accounting and Reporting Committee Continuing Education (CPE) Training for CPAs (2020)
- Niemotko, Tolan, "Sustainability Reporting: Perspectives and Approaches" The American Accounting Association (AAA), Impact the Future Conference, Panel Presentation
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA) Dr. Emanuel Saxe Outstanding CPA in Education Award. (2012)
- The Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) Teaching Excellence Award: Professor of the Year for the Northeast Region of the United States and Canada. (2002)
- Appointed by the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants to serve on the Governing Council of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Appointed to the Board of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Appointed to the Board of the Foundation for Accounting Education (FAE)
Research Interests / Areas of Focus
- Sustainability Accounting and Reporting
- Intermediate and Advanced Accounting Issues
- Fraud Management and Forensic Accounting