Marist Moves Up to #8 on List of Best Regional Universities—North in U.S. News 2019 Rankings
September 10, 2018 — Marist College has once again been recognized as a top ten Best Regional University—North in the 2019 U.S. News rankings released today. The College was also noted in other key categories for innovation and value.
Ranking 8th on the Best Regional Universities list is an all-time high for Marist. “We are focused on student success. Over the last several years, we’ve substantially expanded our offerings for both undergraduate and graduate students, so we are pleased with this recognition,” said Sean Kaylor, Vice President for Enrollment, Marketing, and Communication. “Our emphasis on quality teaching, hands-on educational experiences, and a global perspective really make Marist a compelling choice.” The combination is working: the College has an impressive 83 percent six-year graduation rate—substantially higher than the 66 percent national average for private institutions.
U.S. News also cited Marist as the #2 Most Innovative School among Regional Universities—North. This ranking was developed based on surveys of top academics—college presidents, provosts, and admissions deans—who were asked to nominate the schools making the biggest innovative improvements in all aspects of their institution.
“This ranking is particularly gratifying because Marist has long been a trailblazer,” said Executive Vice President Geoffrey Brackett. “It starts with faculty innovation in our academic programs, which include a wide range of undergraduate majors, to online certificates in cybersecurity, to state of the art graduate degrees in allied health. It continues with the world-wide reach of our programming and facilities. A Marist education is future-focused and prepares our students for success in an ever-changing world.” The College has many innovations to its credit:
– Marist’s Florence, Italy campus offers four-year bachelor’s degree programs in partnership with Istituto Lorenzo de’ Medici—the only U.S. bachelor’s degree program in Florence.
– Marist’s research partnership with the IBM Corporation, which has been in place for more than 30 years, has brought the College the kind of world-class technology platform typically found at leading research institutions while giving students the opportunity to work with IBM professionals on cutting-edge research.
– The Marist Institute for Public Opinion, home of the Marist Poll, is one of the nation’s premier independent survey research centers. Students work as interviewers, supervisors, and research assistants. The Poll partners with NBC News, NPR, and The Wall Street Journal to measure elections and other key issues.
– Marist is launching an Executive Center at 420 Fifth Avenue in New York City to house its innovative corporate training, graduate and professional education programs, and its historic Hudson River campus is home to the Hudson River Valley Institute (HRVI), a nationally recognized history and regional studies center.
– Marist’s partnership with the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library and Museum makes it one of only six colleges and universities nationwide affiliated with a presidential library. Marist also hosts the Library’s digital archives.
Additionally, the College was ranked among the Best Value Schools for Regional Universities—North. This ranking is calculated based on a ratio of quality to price, the percentage of undergraduates receiving need-based scholarships, and the average discount. “A Marist education is an investment in your future,” added Kaylor. “The College offers an outstanding education at a competitive price relative to other private institutions.”