An image of the Marist rotunda.

Student Financial Services

Undergraduate Students

Menu Display

Marist Codes


NYS Undergraduate TAP 

Marist CSS Profile
For undergraduate international students

Student Financial Services Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I qualify for financial aid?

A: In order to qualify for federal and/or need-based financial aid,  you should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. Incoming freshman should visit the Applying for Financial Aid website for priority deadlines. Marist College's priority deadline for returning students, adult students, and graduate students is March 15th. If you are a resident of NYS, please file your TAP application.

Q: Why should I file a FAFSA?

A: Although the FAFSA is not a federal requirement, it is always a good idea to file the FAFSA so the school can determine your need and possible eligibility of need-based aid.  Also, if you intend on using loans to help cover the balance due, Marist requires students have a FAFSA on file to certify a Direct Loan or a PLUS loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students). By filing the FAFSA, federal loans can be maximized at lower interest rates. With a FAFSA on file, your dependent student would be packaged with the maximum amount allowed under the Federal Direct Loan Program, allowing you to borrow less in the PLUS or Private loan program.

Q: What financial aid forms do we need to file?

A: In order to qualify for federal, state, or Marist College funding, we require that you file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your state's grant application, if applicable. If selected for verification, we will request additional documentation.

Q: How do I receive my financial aid?

A: Your aid will be credited to your student account at the beginning of each semester, provided you are attending the number of credits required by your financial aid. It can be viewed electronically via your myMarist account. For programs such as TAP and Pell Grants, we will credit these awards to your account after our office receives the necessary documentation required for New York State and the federal government.

Q. How often does financial aid disburse?

A. Financial aid is set to disburse once in the fall and once in the spring semester, except for students in an accelerated program. Financial aid for students in the Physician Assistant and Doctor of Physical Therapy programs will disburse once per term. In order for federal and/or need-based financial aid to disburse, all financial aid requirements reflected on the student’s myMarist account must be complete.

Q: Will my financial aid remain the same in future years?

A: As long as you or your family's financial situation remains essentially the same (income, number of family members, number enrolled in college), you may anticipate your Marist College Grant to remain as a part of your aid package. It is expected, however, that the amount of the loan in your aid package (undergraduate students) will increase each year. Students who continue to make satisfactory academic progress, demonstrate financial eligibility, and meet filing deadlines, will continue to receive assistance.

Q: Can I appeal my financial aid if I have special financial circumstances?  

A: Yes, if your family has experienced a change in financial circumstances (such as loss of employment, separation or divorce, or death of a parent) that is not adequately reflected on your FAFSA application, you may complete our Change of Financial Circumstances Form.  The form is located under the Student Financial Services tab of  Please be sure to read the instructions carefully and provide all supporting documentation listed on the form before submission to the Office of Student Financial Services.  Submission of an appeal does not guarantee an adjustment to the student’s financial aid.  

Q: What is an external grant on my award package?

A: These funds are not awarded by the Federal or State governments or by the College; but they are required to be included in the financial aid package according to federal regulation. Examples of external grants include tuition benefits from a parent's employer and grants or scholarships provided by private organizations.

Q: Do I need to notify Marist if I receive outside financial assistance, such as scholarships, grants, loans (other than student loans), or tuition reimbursement?

A: Yes, you should report any and all additional financial assistance to the Office of Student Financial Services. It may affect the amount of your aid package.

Q: Where can I go to view my tuition bill and make a payment online?

A: Students can view their billing statements electronically via their myMarist accounts.  Please log on and click on the Student Financial Services tab, then click the "Electronic Billing & Payment Account" link.  

A new page will open and from there students can view "Your bills" which are static as of a point in time, review "Your Account," which is the live & most current version of each billing statement, review recent payments, enroll in payment plans, sign up for electronic refunds, or enroll an authorized payer who will be enabled to then receive tuition statements.      

Q: When do I have to pay my tuition bill?

A: The Office of Student Financial Services will send your billing statement electronically for the fall semester in July and the spring billing statement in December. Adult and Graduate Students should contact the office for your billing schedule if you are in a particular program.  

Q: Does Marist College have a payment plan?

A: Yes, we offer a payment plan serviced by Nelnet Campus Commerce. This plan is an interest-free way to spread tuition payments over the course of a semester. Plans are now available per term, an enrollment fee is required to participate. Students are encouraged to view the Marist College Monthly Tuition Payment Plan for further details, or contact the Office of Student Financial Services. 

Q: What should I do if I do not plan on returning to Marist for the following semester?

A: Undergraduate and Adult Undergraduate students should contact the Center for Advising & Academic Services at (845) 575-3500. Graduate students should contact their program director.  You are also required to complete Exit Counseling if you have taken out a Direct Loan. Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services to complete an Exit Interview if you have taken out a Perkins Loan.

Q: What if my parents do not contribute towards my education?

A: In order to be considered independent per the FAFSA, the Federal Regulations require students to respond "YES" to specific eligibility questions. 

If you do not meet these conditions, your parents must provide their information even if they will not contribute financially towards your education. You may want to consider a private loan to cover your expenses.

Q: What is Marist College's Federal School Code?

A: Marist College Federal School Code is 002765.

Q: What if I forget my FAFSA ID?

A: You can your recover your ID through FAFSA.

Q: What is the Financial Aid deadline to file a FAFSA for incoming Freshman?

A: The Marist College preferred deadline to file FAFSA is

February 15 for prospective first year and transfer students

March 15 for returning students, adult students and graduate students

Q: Do I need to complete a FAFSA every year?

A: Yes, in order to verify eligibility for any financial aid.

Q: How do I make corrections on my FAFSA?

A: Go online to FAFSA with your ID, and make any necessary changes.

Q: I have been selected for "Verification." What does that mean?

A: Verification is a process initiated by the U.S. Department of Education or by the Financial Aid Office, requiring you to submit a Verification Worksheet (see our Marist Application for Financial Aid), IRS Tax documents, and other documents to the Office of Student Financial Services. If your application is selected for verification, you will not be eligible for Federal Aid until this process is finalized. To avoid unnecessary delays, please submit all required documents promptly. 

Q: What can I do if I have unusual circumstances that prevent me from reporting parent information on my FAFSA?

A: Students with unusual circumstances (such as parental abandonment, abuse, or incarceration) are encouraged to reach out to the Office of Student Financial Services to explain their situation and provide supporting documentation.  Our committee will review each situation on a case-by-case basis to determine if a dependency override can be granted.  This would allow the student to be viewed as an independent student for financial aid purposes.  We will review all requests for a determination of independence as quickly as possible but no later than 60 days after the student enrolls or 60 days after the request is made.  If all documentation is not received within 60 days, the request may be denied.   

Q: How are my loans applied to my account?

A: All Loans are applied as full year unless otherwise specified.  Direct Loans are given on an annual basis and the amount is determined by the students class level (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Adult Undergraduate, Graduate) as well as cost of attendance.  

All graduate students are awarded the maximum amount of loan allocation, up to the cost of attendance, less any other financial aid.    

Q: How do I reject a partial or full amount of my Federal Direct Loan? 

A: If you do not want to take the Undergraduate Federal Direct Loan or Graduate Federal Direct Loan, or you only want to take a portion of the loan awarded to you, you may notify our office by sending an email from your Marist email account with the your name and CWID to

Q: How do I track my student loans?

A: Access Once logged in using the FSA ID and password, the student and parent will be able to view their loan details, discover who their loan servicer is, and review information regarding repayment. 

Q: How will I find a Work-Study job?

A: During the first week of school, a job fair will be held to enable new incoming work study students to find employment.

Q: How would I find employment after the Job Fair?

A: The student employment website, located in the myMarist portal, provides a listing of all available jobs, both on and off campus throughout the year. You may also contact our office to meet with a Student Employment Representative.

Q: If I am not awarded work study, will I still be able to work on campus?

A: Yes, A student can either work on-campus through our Federal Work Study Program or through Campus Employment. The only restriction is that the first 2 weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters are reserved for the hiring of work-study students ONLY, unless special circumstances exist.

Q: Do you offer non-need-based scholarships?

A: Yes, Marist offers several types of scholarships, which are awarded upon entrance, can range in dollar amount, and are renewable each academic year as long as the minimum 2.850 cumulative Grade Point Average (undergraduate students) and 3.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (graduate students) is met. New undergraduate students at Marist are given their initial term as a grace period to achieve the necessary academic index.

Q: Are there any other scholarships I can apply for?

A: Through the generosity of trustees, alumni, parents, and friends of the College, a number of endowed scholarships have been established at Marist. Each scholarship has a specific criterion. The awards can range from $500 to full scholarships. Endowed/Donor Scholarships are primarily need-based awards and scholarship recipients are selected by the Office of Student Financial Services. Please refer to our Endowed Scholarships website for application and eligibility information and for more details on private scholarship opportunities.

Q: How do I apply for TAP?

A: Once you have filed your FAFSA, if you are a New York State resident, please visit NYS TAP App to complete the application.

Q: What is Marist College's State Code?

A: The Marist College New York State Code for TAP (Tuition Assistance Program), for Undergraduate Students is 0440.