Undergraduate Admission

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q. How do I qualify for financial aid?

A. In order to qualify for financial aid you will need to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible. The priority deadline for Undergraduate students is February 15th and April 15th for Adult Undergraduate & Graduate students. Marist College will provide the student with an award package based on the EFC (Expected Family Contribution) stated on the SAR (Student Aid Report), which you should receive approximately 2-3 days after you file your FAFSA*.

*If completed online.

Q. Why should I file a FAFSA?

A. Although the FAFSA is not a federal requirement, it is always a good idea to file the FAFSA so the school can determine your need and possible eligibility of need-based aid.  Also, if you intend on using loans to help cover the balance due, Marist requires students have a FAFSA on file to certify a Direct Loan or a PLUS loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students). By filing the FAFSA, federal loans can be maximized at lower interest rates. With a FAFSA on file, your dependent student would be packaged with the maximum amount allowed under the Federal Direct Loan Program, allowing you to borrow less in the PLUS or Private loan program.

Q. What financial aid forms do we need to file?

A. In order to qualify for federal, state, or Marist College funding, we require that you file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your state's grant application, if applicable. If selected for verification, we will request additional documentation.

Q. How do I receive my financial aid?

A. Your aid will be credited to your student account at the beginning of each semester, provided you are attending the number of credits required by your financial aid. It can be viewed electronically via your myMarist account. For programs such as TAP and Pell Grants, we will credit these awards to your account after our office receives the necessary documentation required for New York State and the federal government.

Q. Will my financial aid remain the same in future years?

A. As long as you or your family's financial situation remains essentially the same (income, number of family members, number enrolled in college), you may anticipate your Marist College Grant to remain as a part of your aid package. It is expected, however, that the amount of the loan in your aid package (undergraduate students) will increase each year. Students who continue to make satisfactory academic progress, demonstrate financial eligibility, and meet filing deadlines, will continue to receive assistance.

Q. Is it possible to appeal the financial aid awarded?

A. If your circumstances have changed or if you feel you have unusual family circumstances, such as: loss of employment, separation or divorce, or death of a parent, that are not adequately reflected on your aid application, you may appeal your award, in writing, by contacting our office for a Change of Financial Circumstances Form. However, please be aware that funding is limited, and the strong possibility exists that we will not be able to increase your award.

Q. What is an external grant on my award package?

A. These funds are not awarded by the Federal or State governments or by the College; but they are required to be included in the financial aid package according to federal regulation. Examples of external grants include tuition benefits from a parent's employer and grants or scholarships provided by private organizations.

Q. Do I need to notify Marist if I receive outside financial assistance, such as scholarships, grants, loans (other than student loans), or tuition reimbursement?

A. Yes, you should report any and all additional financial assistance to the Office of Student Financial Services. It may affect the amount of your aid package.

Q. Where can I go to view my tuition bill and make a payment online?

A. Students can view their billing statements electronically via their myMarist accounts.  Please log on and click on the Student Financial Services tab, then click the "Electronic Billing & Payment Account" link.  

A new page will open and from there students can view "Your bills" which are static as of a point in time, review "Your Account," which is the live & most current version of each billing statement, review recent payments, enroll in payment plans, sign up for electronic refunds, or enroll an authorized payer who will be enabled to then receive tuition statements.      

Q. When do I have to pay my tuition bill?

A. The Office of Student Financial Services will send your billing statement electronically for the fall semester in July and the spring billing statement in December. Adult and Graduate Students should contact the office for your billing schedule if you are in a particular program.  

Q. Does Marist College have a payment plan?

A. Yes, we offer a interest free payment plan, which begins as early as April, for up to a 12 month duration. The payment plan is offered at marist.afford.com.

Q. What should I do if I do not plan on returning to Marist for the following semester?

A. Undergraduate and Adult Undergraduate students should contact the Center for Advising & Academic Services at (845) 575-3500. Graduate students should contact their program director.  You are also required to complete Exit Counseling if you have taken out a Direct Loan. Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services to complete an Exit Interview if you have taken out a Perkins Loan.

Q. What if my parents do not contribute towards my education?

A. In order to be considered independent per the FAFSA, the Federal Regulations require students to respond "YES" to specific eligibility questions. 

If you do not meet these conditions, your parents must provide their information even if they will not contribute financially towards your education. You may want to consider a private loan to cover your expenses.

FAFSA Questions

Q. What is Marist College's Federal School Code?

A. Marist College Federal School Code is 002765.

Q. What if I forget my FAFSA ID?

A. You can your recover your ID through FAFSA.

Q. What is the Financial Aid deadline to file a FAFSA for incoming Freshman?

A. The Marist College preferred deadline to file FAFSA is

  • November 15 for Early Decision
  • February 1 for Early Decision II
  • November 15 Early Action
  • February 1 for Regular Decision
  •  April 15 for incoming Adult & Graduate Students

Q. Do I need to complete a FAFSA every year?

A. Yes, in order to verify eligibility for any financial aid.

Q. How do I make corrections on my FAFSA?

A. Go online to FAFSA with your ID, and make any necessary changes.

Q. I have been selected for "Verification." What does that mean?

A. Verification is a process initiated by the U.S. Department of Education or by the Financial Aid Office, requiring you to submit a Verification Worksheet (see our Marist Application for Financial Aid), IRS Tax documents, and other documents to the Office of Student Financial Services. If your application is selected for verification, you will not be eligible for Federal Aid until this process is finalized. To avoid unnecessary delays, please submit all required documents promptly. 


Questions Regarding Loans

Q. How are my loans applied to my account?

A. All Loans are applied as full year unless otherwise specified.  Direct Loans are given on an annual basis and the amount is determined by the students class level (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Adult Undergraduate, Graduate) as well as cost of attendance.  

All graduate students are awarded the maximum amount of loan allocation, up to the cost of attendance, less any other financial aid.    

Q. How do I reject a partial or full amount of my Federal Direct Loan? 

A. If you do not want to take the Undergraduate Federal Direct Loan or Graduate Federal Direct Loan, or you only want to take a portion of the loan awarded to you, you may notify our office by sending an email from your Marist email account with the your name and CWID to studentfinancialservices@marist.edu.

Q. How do I track my student loans?

A. Access "NSLDS" National Student Loan Data System at: https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/ All student and parent Federal loans will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and will be accessible by Guaranty agencies, lenders, and institutions determined to be authorized users of the data system.  

Questions Regarding Work Study - Undergraduate Students Only

Q. How will I find a Work-Study job?

A. During the first week of school, a job fair will be held to enable new incoming work study students to find employment.

Q. How would I find employment after the Job Fair?

A. The student employment website, located in the myMarist portal, provides a listing of all available jobs, both on and off campus throughout the year. You may also contact our office to meet with a Student Employment Representative.

Q. If I am not awarded work study, will I still be able to work on campus?

A. Yes, A student can either work on-campus through our Federal Work Study Program or through Campus Employment. The only restriction is that the first 2 weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters are reserved for the hiring of work-study students ONLY, unless special circumstances exist.

Questions Regarding Scholarships & Grants

Q. Do you offer non-need-based scholarships?

A. Yes, Marist offers several types of scholarships, which are awarded upon entrance, can range in dollar amount, and are renewable each academic year as long as the minimum 2.850 cumulative Grade Point Average (undergraduate students) and 3.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (graduate students) is met. New undergraduate students at Marist are given their initial term as a grace period to achieve the necessary academic index.

Q. Are there any other scholarships I can apply for?

A. Marist College offers several Endowed Scholarships through the generosity of trustees, alumni, parents, and friends of the College. The scholarship awards range from $500 to $5,000.  Distribution of the award is made in two equal payments in the fall and spring semesters, unless otherwise noted. The award will be directly applied to the student's account upon verification of the student's full-time enrollment.  

Q. How do I apply for TAP?

A. Once you have filed your FAFSA, if you are a NYS resident, you will be sent an Express TAP Application (ETA), which you must sign and return. Please note that students who received TAP in prior years may not be required to complete and ETA. To check your status, visit www.hesc.ny.gov/content.nsf.

Q. What is Marist College's State Code?

A. The Marist College New York State Code for TAP (Tuition Assistance Program), for Undergraduate Students is 0440.

Q. Are there any other State grants I may be eligible for if I am not a NY State Resident?

A. Vermont offers state grants that will travel out of state. You do not have to attend a school in those respective states to receive their grant.  

The Vermont Incentive Grant is offered to Vermont residents who plan to attend college full-time, and do not already have a bachelor's degree. Vermont residents attending out-of-state institutions are requested to visit the Vermnt Grant Applications website for application criteria.