Social Work Department
The Social Work Association
"We must be the change we want to see in the world." - Gandhi
As a club, we work to promote the core values, knowledge, and skills of the social work profession, which entails a commitment to promoting self-awareness, social justice, and community engagement to better ourselves as well as society.
We dedicate ourselves to having fun while working in various social systems to ensure that peoples' basic human needs are being met.
We meet twice a month to discuss topics relevant to the social work field, as well as taking part in community service.
A few of the many events we have been involved with are:
- We participated in the Out of the Darkness walk on the Walkway Over the Hudson to raise money to prevent suicide through research, education, and advocacy.
- We volunteered at Feeding the Hudson Valley, an event that raised awareness of hunger, food insecurity, food waste, and the social and environmental impacts of these problems.
- We worked with other student groups on campus to host a presidential debate series between the Marist Republican and Marist Democratic clubs.
- We worked with the Lesbian & Gay Student Alliance to host a Transgender Awareness film and group discussion.
Visit us on Facebook!
Social Work Association Executive Board
- Faculty advisor: Daria Hanssen
- President: Grace Cunningham
- VP: Catherine Ponziani
- Treasurer: Annie Callaghan
- Secretary: Laura Holloran
- Webmaster: Lily Clemons