Housing & Residential Life

Mold & Mildew

Mold and mildew are a common occurrence at this time of year, caused by the humidity in the outside air. The combination of Poughkeepsie’s high relative humidity and thermostats set below 70° cause moisture to condense inside the residence halls and create conditions that promote the growth of mold and mildew. As confirmed by tests completed this semester in several locations on campus by Environmental Management Solutions (EMS), the mold and mildew that you are currently seeing inside residence halls is unlikely to be harmful and no further action is required. The report from EMS also indicated that although outdoor mold and mildew levels are high in our area, the indoor air quality of the tested areas is within normal limits. 

Preventing the growth of mold and mildew in your residence area takes a collaborative effort from students and staff. To prevent the growth of mold, students are responsible to make sure they follow the guidelines below, particularly if your residence area is air-conditioned: 

  • Set thermostat to 70° or higher.
  • Always keep exterior doors, bedroom doors, and common area windows closed.
  • Do not leave wet clothes, towels, shoes, etc. lying around.
  • Run the bathroom exhaust fans after showering.

If you suspect or see mold or mildew in your residence apartment, contact:

1) Maintenance Department by calling (845) 575-3000 x2255 or email maintenance@marist.edu

or

2) Office of Housing and Residential Life by calling (845) 575-3307 or email housing@marist.edu. If mold or mildew reoccurs, please indicate such in your request to alert facilities management to investigate and test as necessary.

If you feel ill, have chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation in the eyes, rashes, chronic fatigue, or persistent headaches, please call Health Services at (845) 575-3270.

FAQs

Q: Is the mold/mildew I see in my residence hall dangerous?
A: No. As confirmed by tests completed this semester in several locations on campus by Environmental Management Solutions (EMS), the mold and mildew that is currently occurring inside residence halls is unlikely to be harmful and no further action is needed. However, if you see mold or mildew, we always recommend calling maintenance to take a look. Maintenance can be reached at (845) 575-3000 x2255.

Q: What causes the mold/mildew in residence halls?
A: The combination of Poughkeepsie’s high relative humidity and thermostats set below 70° cause moisture to condense inside the residence halls and create conditions that promote the growth of mold and mildew.

Q: How can I clean the mold/mildew in my residence hall?
A: This mold/mildew caused by humidity can be cleaned with dish soap and water.

Q: Should I notify anyone on campus about mold/mildew in my residence hall?
A: Yes. Contact the Maintenance Department by calling (845) 575-3000 x2255 or email maintenance@marist.edu or the Office of Housing and Residential Life by calling (845) 575-3307 or email housing@marist.edu.