Modern Languages and Cultures Department
An internship is a guided experiential learning opportunity tailored to a student's interest and desired skill set. Dr. Patricia Ferrer-Medina, our Spanish Internship Coordinator, works closely with students to find an internship that will enhance their training. Students in these positions translate, interpret, or conduct research and interviews, among other tasks. Many students deal directly with the Spanish-speaking community in the Hudson Valley and New York City; others work in international settings with the Spanish native speaker population. All internships allow students to use their linguistic skills and cultural competence in practical situations and thus afford insight into more than one field of study. Contact Dr. Patricia Ferrer-Medina for more information.
In the recent past, we have placed students in a wide variety of locations around the Hudson Valley, Albany, New York City and Madrid, Spain. Here are examples of our recent placements in New York State:
- Hudson River Housing (History, Political Science)
- Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (Political Science, Pre-Law Program)
- Dutchess County Legislature (Political Science, Pre-Law Program)
- Rural and Migrant Ministry (various)
- Office of the Attorney General in Poughkeepsie (Political Science, Pre-Law Program)
- American Red Cross (various)
- Walkway Over the Hudson (various)
- Mid-Hudson Migrant Education Outreach (Education)
- Literacy Connections of the Hudson Valley in Poughkeepsie (Education)
- Scenic Hudson (Environmental Science)
- Family Partnership Center (Human Services, Social Work, Medical Services)
In Madrid, Spain we have placed students in the following organizations.
- United States Embassy in Madrid (Political Science and History)
- HotEnglish Magazine (Journalism and Communication)
- Castilla-León Tourism Office (Public Relations)
- Instituto de Educación Secundaria Salvador Dalí in Madrid (Secondary Education)
- Soto del Real Prison (Criminal Justice)
- Sexo y Vida Clinic (Psychology)
- Unidad Médica Angloamericana (Biomedical Sciences)
Our department offers students internships for credit or pay in each of the three major areas of study, Spanish, French and Italian. Contact the individual program's coordinator to learn more.