M.A. in Public Administration
About the Online MPA Program Curriculum
Online MPA Graduate Program Overview
Today, it is essential for emerging non-profit and public sector leaders to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to begin their careers. Professionals in the field are expected to assume positions of ever increasing responsibility with an emphasis on managerial and administrative careers. The online MPA program at Marist prepares students with the knowledge, skills and values to be professionally competent and ethical leaders of a diverse work force in public and non-profit organizations within the context of a global society. The MPA curriculum links theory and practice by emphasizing contemporary issues grounded in the historical foundation of public administration.
Our NASPAA-accredited Master's in Public Administration graduate degree program is flexible to fit your professional schedule. You can complete your courses 100% online as a full-time or part-time student. Marist also offers several courses in a traditional classroom setting.
MPA graduate students are required to complete a total of 39-42 credits as part of the MPA curriculum:
- Three (3) Foundation courses (9 credits)
- Seven (7) required Core courses (21 credits)
- Three (3) Elective courses (9 credits) in the Public Management, Ethical Leadership, Nonprofit Management, Analytics, or Healthcare Administration Concentrations
- One (1) internship required for pre-service students only
Students may be waived from up to three Foundation courses if the following conditions are met:
- Comparable under- graduate courses were completed within the two years prior to acceptance into the MPA program
- A grade of "B" or better was earned in the designated courses(s)
- Approval of the Program Director at the time of admission.
In addition, students may be waived from the internship if they have two or more years of full- time professional work experience upon approval from the Program Director.
The MPA curriculum was designed using the standards set forth by the National Association for Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA) - the accrediting body for national and international graduate programs in Public Administration and Public Affairs. This ensures that the courses and program provide students with the best quality education possible.
The online Master's in Public Administration full course catalog offers course descriptions and detailed program requirements.