African Student Association
Social & Service Club
About Our Organization
The African Students Association (ASA) is a club for Marist students of African descent. Although we are a minority at Marist, we want to take advantage of the chance to share our culture, tradition, and beliefs with the rest of the Marist community. ASA is a home for in-depth discussions on Africa and African diaspora cultures as they pertain to our Marist community. Our organization welcomes students of all races, colors, genders, sexual orientations, nationalities, and religions, and strives to make ASA a safe space for all.
President: Dumebi Akukwe, ’22
- Chief officer and administrative head of the club.
- Empowered to appoint positions or committees by advice and consent of the general membership.
- Countersigns with the Treasurer on all financial transactions, and provides leadership, guidance and vision to steer the club to achieve its objectives.
Vice President: Victor Adaun, ‘22
- Performs all duties of the President in their absence, removal, or at their request.
- Assists and supports the President, and acts as the President’s chief aid and confidant, oversees all standing committees,
- Manages internal and external affairs.
Secretary: Nasra Ngururu, ’23
- "Glue" of the board.
- Logs and archives minutes at every meeting.
- Maintains attendance records for events, communicates and announces event information to club members, and is responsible for Student Activities paperwork regarding room reservations for all meetings and events.
- Money manager and financial planner.
- Responsible for the financial matters of the organization, to keep account and a record of all monetary resources given and used by the club, and countersign all financial transactions with the President.
- Assists the President and/or Vice President in preparing the budget and managing the account of expenditure of the club.
Public Relations: Salama Doucoure, ’22
- Liaison between the Board, club members and the rest of the Marist community.
- Leads all social functions in conjunction with the President and the First-Year Representative.
- Advertises all events and meetings, creating flyers and posters, as well as attaining Marist College approval to distribute them.
First-Year Representative: Obidinma Egbokwu, ’23
- Social connector, particularly focused on introducing the organization to new Marist Students.
- Responsible for all social functions in conjunction with the President and Public Relations Officer, and for reaching out to new students on behalf of the ASA.
ASA organizes meetings bi-weekly (Usually on Wednesdays – 9:30pm*).
*The exact time and place for meetings shall be set by the Executive Board.
Earn Priority Points through Clubs and Activities
To earn one (1) point: Members must attend a minimum of 50% of club/organization meetings for the semester and 50% of club/organization activities.
To earn two (2) points: Members must attend a minimum of 50% of club/organization meetings for the semester and 75% of club/organization activities PLUS the community service event.
To earn three (3) points (executive board only): Officers must attend 50% of club meetings for the semester and 100% of club activities including community service. If executive board members do not complete all of the requirements to earn three points, they will be eligible to receive up to two points based on the above criteria.